Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QueenMellyBee
    replied
    So since many on this thread have taken Gabapentin - and it is originally intended for epilepsy...... do any of you wear the ID bracelet stating that you are on an anti-spasmodic??

Every website I came accross that speaks on specifics of gabapentin (Drugs.com and the like) have said that you should wear an ID bracelet stating that you are on an anti-spasmodic in case of emergencies.

I wonder if this is because the website is assuming the intended patient is Epileptic?

My DH isn't comfortable with me taking it without an Emergency bracelet (if that is required), as he is out of town so often, it would be terrible if I had a bad reaction/accident somehwere, and no one knew what I was on......

Thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• melhil
    replied
    Yes, it is for nerve ending pain.
    It can be effective, with small doses.

Leave a comment:

• bjcov
    replied
    So is it a pain med then? In seeing a new doc on Friday and I know she doesn't prescribe pain mess. So I don't wanna ask if it's classified as one. I feel like I have nerve pain in my urethra. And for the last month, I've had an awful time with getting up in the middle of the night. I take 75 amitriptyline and that doesn't help. But 1 hydrocodone 5/325 will help me feel relatively "normal" during the day. Even up to 12 hours. I'm trying to get off the hydro and take Tramadol 100mg twice a day tho.

Leave a comment:

• Thingone
    replied
    Gabapentin

Gabapentin has been very helpful to me, especially with vulva pain and nerve pain in the pelvis. It took along time for me to adjust to 300mg three times a day. Recently my dose was increased to 600mg three times a day. I'm adjusting and at times feel very tired. For me the longer (day's, month's) it's in my system, the less I feel tired. I guess my body gets used to it. I still have to take pain medication, but my pain is controlled better. Wishing you a pain free day!

Leave a comment:

• lfocht
    replied
    Meds

It sounds like the gabapentin is helping most of you. I hope it will do the same for me.I find that when I wake up I can't go back to sleep. But am trying it again tonight to see what happens. I also take Elavil and Atarax. I only take 50mg of Elavil at night and one Atarax. Those two don' t seem to bother me.I am up all thru the night and usually when I lay back down I can to sleep but last night I wasn't able to. also take ambien cr before going to bed and that use to help me go back to sleep. Maybe last night was just an off night, plus it was my first night on it.
    Linda

Leave a comment:

• lfocht
    replied
    Sandra

Sandra

I am glad you are having good luck with it. I hope I do to.Did you start out on 300 mg also? Can you tell a difference from going t\up to the 400 over the 300mg?
    Linda
    Last edited by lfocht; 06-02-2011, 02:41 PM. Reason: goog

Leave a comment:

• lfocht
    replied
    Gabapentin

Hi Sandra,
    Thanks for the information on it. They only have me taking 300 mg x 3 times a day. I was reading about it today and read that it makes you gain weight. Have you or anyone that takes this med gained weight from it? I sure don't need to gain any more weight.lol It did seem like it did help me today. I did feel a little tired. But the pain from the IC and Vulvodynia did seem to be a little better. This was the first morning since 2002 that I woke up and didn't feel like I had been hit by a truck. so that was good. I did wake up at 3:00 am, and wasn't able to go back to sleep. It seemed to keep me awake.
    Linda
    Last edited by lfocht; 06-02-2011, 02:40 PM. Reason: Made a mistake

Leave a comment:

• sailawaygrl
    replied
    I know that the gabapentin is working for me, the only problem I am having is sleepiness. I am not worknig so I can rest when needed but I a hoping that this passes soon. I am so tired of being tired. My Dr increased my dose and now I take 400mg three times a day. I don't know if taking all of it at night would work for me because it seems to help me as I continue to take it through the day. I still have pain but now my pain is more localized to my bladder, before I hurt constantly in my entire lower abdomen and lower back. I can also now tell what food cause me trouble, in the past that wasn't possible for me.

I hope it works for you. Let us know how you do with it. Be aware that taking that and the morpine is likely to make you very tired in the beginning.

Sandra

Leave a comment:

• lfocht
    replied
    Gabapentin

Hi,
    Today was the first day I had an appointment with a pain clinic doctor. He did put me on gabapentin 300mg. Plus a low dose of Morphine Sustained Action Oral. They told me to just take the Morphine tonight and then tomorrow try the gabapentin and go from there. Do you think the gabapentin is working for all of you?
    Thanks,
    LInda

Leave a comment:

• suncaro23
    replied
    I tried again, and the first night, things went fine. The 2nd night- not so good- just like with elavil, I was completely out of it the next day for the entire day...I was useless, and I could only watch TV and sleep for a few minutes at a time. I don't know what to do. I am thinking maybe only every other night might work for me.

Leave a comment:

• mizmak35
    replied
    neurontin (gabapentin)

Mine is prescribed for one 3 times a day for muscle spasm. I take it with enablex. Only side effect is dry mouth.

Leave a comment:

• suncaro23
    replied
    Michelle- That is fabulous that you are sleeping through the night. I am wishing for that. And good news- I tried the gabapentin last night again, and slept initially for 5 hours before getting up, and then another 2..For me, that is a record! I was a bit groggy this morning, but I'm hoping that this will wear off when I get used to the meds. I'm glad I gave it another try, and I will do so again tonight. Thanks everyone, for you advice and thoughts!
    suncaro23

Leave a comment:

replied
    I have to take my tricyclic in the mornings b/c it also keeps me awake. The only meds that get and keep me asleep are in the benzo family: Valium, lorazapam...etc. I sleep through the whole night and do not get up to pee until the alarm goes off now.

Leave a comment:

• earthlady
    replied
    I have this reaction all the time. When I very first started having problems my uro gave me Flexeril and said it would calm my muscles down. Well I had the total opposite effect and was awake all night with anxiety and insomnia. Atarax did the same thing to me and so did Elavil. Now I have to research any med my dr. suggests before I go and buy it. Anything with a tricyclic chemical similarity in structure wires me, when other people find them sedating. It gets really hard to find a med that I'm compatible with.

Leave a comment:

• sailawaygrl
    replied
    I just started gabapentin a week or so ago and noticed the first few time I took it I felt slightly "off kilter". Now I don't have that problem. Also the first few nights I was up a lot going to the bathroom but that has come down to once or twice a night for the past 3 nights. I really feel it is helping my pain and I am thrilled with that. I do think you need to try any med for more than two nights, if you don't give it a chance you may miss out on something that could really help you.

Sandra

Leave a comment:

Working...
X