X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kitshalleen
    replied
    Dear Gato,
    I that this is the late reply, but when I read your message I actually thought that it was something that I had posted. That is exactly how my pain feels and ditropan does help a bit with it. The pain is pretty awful though. Heat helps a bit too. if you ever want to talk about it let me know. Hope you’re doing better.
    best,
    kit

Leave a comment:

• KatrinaE
    replied
    Re: Ditropan helps for pain?

Hi,
    I have recently been prescribed ditropan and was wondering what kind of success people have had with this medication? I am not going to start this medication until I stop another one-due to side effects. I have bladder pressure, pain and discomfort from sitting mainly and I need to pee far too often! I have had IC for several years and this is the second antispasmodic I have taken. Thanks
    Katrina

Leave a comment:

• samilia
    replied

Originally posted by Cindi1967 View Post
    Definitely worth looking into. Did your symptoms get worse after you started this new medicine? So many things are irritants. It's hard to avoid them all.
    Yes they did worse around the time i started this med. But it turns out ive got resistant strain of ecoli in my bladder. So who knows if that was a coincidence. I was on this med for a year in 2013 with no symptoms.

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied

Originally posted by samilia View Post
    Hmmmm .... youve got me thinking. I recently started a nor-EPINEPHRINE reuptake inhibitor (in increases the level of norepinephrine in your brain to help you focus - i have adhd) evidently it also increases the norepinephrine in your your entire body and nerve endings througout your body... could be irritating me.
    Interesting --- definitely something to discuss with your doctor.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• Cindi1967
    replied

Definitely worth looking into. Did your symptoms get worse after you started this new medicine? So many things are irritants. It's hard to avoid them all.

Leave a comment:

• samilia
    replied

Bladder and urethral spasms are different problems. Apparently there is no end to the list of symptoms associated with IC. My Dr. said I have Urethritis. For many years I just had constant frequency that I did manage to control with Elavil and Elmiron. The urethral spasms were a new problem due to Epinephrine used for some dental work. I had no idea it was an irritant.
    Hmmmm .... youve got me thinking. I recently started a nor-EPINEPHRINE reuptake inhibitor (in increases the level of norepinephrine in your brain to help you focus - i have adhd) evidently it also increases the norepinephrine in your your entire body and nerve endings througout your body... could be irritating me.

Leave a comment:

• Cindi1967
    replied

Bladder and urethral spasms are different problems. Apparently there is no end to the list of symptoms associated with IC. My Dr. said I have Urethritis. For many years I just had constant frequency that I did manage to control with Elavil and Elmiron. The urethral spasms were a new problem due to Epinephrine used for some dental work. I had no idea it was an irritant.

Leave a comment:

• samilia
    replied

For me it feels like an involuntary contraction that tries to push urine out. I have to clench to stop it. Even if my bladder is empty this would happen. I was losing my mind.
    Wow thanks for the detailed explanation.. So i dont think i am having these then, Because ive never had a feeling my bladder is "going to the toilet on its own" or out of my control, nor have i ever had urine loss (except when coughing). Instead i have this constant 24/7 feeling like my bladder is full and that im busting to pee always. Even after going to the toilet it is there. Maybe my urologist was wrong about me suffering spasms. Or maybe there is different types of bladder spasms that cause constant feeling of "needing to go". What i suffer most is burning urethral pain and just before i urinate i have this severe pain in the neck of my bladder as the urine is about to go through the urethra. Sorry for my epic reply.

Leave a comment:

• Cindi1967
    replied

For me it feels like an involuntary contraction that tries to push urine out. I have to clench to stop it. Even if my bladder is empty this would happen. I was losing my mind.

Originally posted by samilia View Post
    Hi, im not sure i know what a uretheral spasm feels like, could you you describe it to me please? I just recently started oxybutynin so hopefully it helps =) x

Leave a comment:

• ann1950
    replied

I have not been on the site in a while because when I entered the pelvic floor research program with U of M last year, the doctor doing the research pelvic exams told me I did not have IC. He said I had vulvadynia. All these years I had been treated as if I had IC, but that was not my problem. The instillation test that was done on me back in 2006 should not be used as the only criteria, and it was. Once this doctor with the research team explained what vulvadynia was, it was like this switch clicked in my brain and I realized, "he is describing exactly what I feel." I was referred to a urologist in my state of Michigan and she has had some good suggestions for dealing with the vulvadynia and has sent me for pelvic floor physical therapy. The therapist was a wealth of knowledge for vulvadynia. I wish I had seen someone years ago who knew what I had, but thank goodness I know what I have now and how to try to treat it. It is a painful condition and can flare at any time with no indication of why it begins. I am not on any meds for IC. I use lidocaine for the vulvadynia flares and boric acid soaks. The physical therapy is to try to relax the muscles, therefore relaxing the vulva area.

Leave a comment:

• samilia
    replied

Ditropan stops my urethral spasms. That involuntary contraction is the worst feeling in the world. It is definitely wort trying to see if it will help you.
    Hi, im not sure i know what a uretheral spasm feels like, could you you describe it to me please? I just recently started oxybutynin so hopefully it helps =) x

Leave a comment:

• Cindi1967
    replied

Ditropan stops my urethral spasms. That involuntary contraction is the worst feeling in the world. It is definitely wort trying to see if it will help you.

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied

There are a couple of questions in this thread that I'll try to answer. Bladder spasms could be described as when the muscles cramp --- when it happens to me it feels like menstrual cramps.

Our doctor told us that low dose Elavil helps with pain by interfering with the pain receptors in the nerve system. My husband takes 10 mg at bedtime for arthritis pain.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• samilia
    replied

Originally posted by ann1950 View Post
    i think the ditropan helps with frequency and therefore keeps the bladder from spasming and making you go often. the IC pain for me is terrible burning when you urinate and when you are not urinating. it is a constant burning that never stops. you can also hurt in your pelvic area with IC. intercourse is also painful because it's like something very sore and raw is being rubbed inside and then when you try to urinate the next morning is is terribly painful.
    Hi i know this os old, but i have the constant burning like you, did the ditropan help that?

Leave a comment:

• Braedley
    replied
    It is technically a tri-cyclic antidepressant, but is also great at managing pain, in smaller doses than they would prescribe for depression..my first dose was awesome, I went from being in constant pain and living in the bathroom to almost being numb, which, in contrast to the pain etc was awesome..it took a while to get the dose right, but once we got that down pat, my pain was well managed..I went from being in the bathroom 40 min at a time and sleeping 20 min to sleeping through the night..I have never done that..during the day, I can go upwards of 3-6 hrs in between trips to the bathroom, depending on the day..
    It supposedly increases the amount of seratonin in yourbrain which is what helps with pain in nerve function etc (if I remember correctly)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X