Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning About Uribel

Hey everyone,

I wanted to make this post for those of us who are on Uribel or are considering taking Uribel. I had been on Uribel for about four months after being given a prescription for it by my urologist. I have also been on Elavil for the past 4 years (25mg). Although the Uribel seemed to help initially, after a while I started noticing more side effects - dizziness, rapid heartbeat, blurred vision, etc. I brought up the subject with my pharmacist, and he was positively appalled that my urologist would prescribe me Uribel while also taking Elavil, because amitriptyline (AKA Elavil) is listed as a contraindication for Uribel. For whatever reason, Walmart's system doesn't flag it when both prescriptions are being picked up. However, they should not be taken simultaneously.

I discontinued the Uribel, and not only did the side effects disappear, but my bladder felt a bit better too. It wasn't the Uribel alone that was causing the problem, but rather the mixture with Elavil. Uribel has a TON of contraindications listed, mostly due to the ingredient methylene blue.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know, because I know many of us take Elavil, and I am concerned how many other urologists are prescribing both medications simultaneously without warning of negative side effects. I wish I had found out about it sooner, as it would have saved me a lot of grief!

Be safe!

Re: Warning About Uribel

Good information.
    Uribel made my heart race - I have an irregular heartbeat.
    I am not on Elavil but felt awful on one Uribel.

Comment

Thanks,
      Yes I think a few of our meds can interact. I use the drugs.com site for interactions. I have taken Elavil with either Ditropan, vesicare or enablex, which all interact but have been fine. I think I may see some long term effects one day from all these drugs I'm on, which worries me, but sometimes you just have to get through the now :-)
      PS I never have understood the rationale for uribel in IC patients, it's extremely acidic ???? Does it cause you guys pain???? We have something similar called hiprex which acidifies your urine into formaldehyde. Just seems so wrong.........
      UTI 3/2015
      IC ,PFD
      prescribed meds: Endep 60mg, Elmiron 400mg, BC. Enablex 7.5mg.

Supplements: Chitomur peptide, colostrum, Echinacea, liver detox swisse, calcium citrate, glucosamine, Psyllium Husk.

Daily diet: Breakkie- oats with chia seeds and no fat milk. Post workout-turkey breast with mixed veggies. Lunch-raw green soup with rye roll and handful of peanuts/almonds. Dinner- changes but meat and veg. Dessert-banana and sugar free custard (homemade) or banana and apple bake with almonds cinnamon and honey with a dollop of coconut cream.

Tried: tramadol, cystoprotek, multi right, diazepam, vesicare, Ditropan, mirabegron, Flomax, lyrica, progesterone.

Comment

Any time we get a new prescription, I go to a web site that will check for interactions --- I do a search for "medication interactions" --- there are several sites that are good. If I were to find an unpleasant interaction, I would telephone the ordering physician before taking it.

Thanks for the precaution.

Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Originally posted by Aaarrrggghhh View Post
          Thanks,
          Yes I think a few of our meds can interact. I use the drugs.com site for interactions. I have taken Elavil with either Ditropan, vesicare or enablex, which all interact but have been fine. I think I may see some long term effects one day from all these drugs I'm on, which worries me, but sometimes you just have to get through the now :-)
          PS I never have understood the rationale for uribel in IC patients, it's extremely acidic ???? Does it cause you guys pain???? We have something similar called hiprex which acidifies your urine into formaldehyde. Just seems so wrong.........
          That confused me too, as it does state that Uribel makes urine more acidic. My urine is normally fairly neutral/alkaline, and I did notice a drastic decrease in bladder symptoms when I finally went off the Uribel. It helped for the first week or so, but I think long-term it did more harm than good. I suppose it could have either been the interaction with Elavil, or the fact that it was making my urine more acidic and irritating my bladder further, even though the other properties (analgesic, antispasmodic, etc.) were providing some relief.

I became very concerned about taking it long-term though, because their website clearly states that no studies have been done to evaluate long-term safety. I have read a few different studies evaluating the long-term safety of methlyene blue (one of the main ingredients in Uribel), and they mainly talked about adverse reactions. Although you usually pay some sort of price with any medication you're on. I personally have a very love-hate relationship with Elavil

Comment

I took both for a while. When i filled the fist bottle of Uribel my pharmacist told me to make sure I take it at least 1 hour from the time I take Elavil. I never had a problem. A great pharmacist makes all the difference. When I was going through a trial and error period before finding the right meds I would always ask him before trying something new. He knows a lot more than even my Uro about medicine interactions.

Comment

I am newly diagnosed and have taken Uribel for about one week, prescribed by urogynocologist. Although, my symptoms seemed to decrease, I have had rapid and irregular heartbeat, and breathing difficulties. I discontinued taking Uribel 3 days ago, but the rapid heartbeat and breathing continue! This is a little concerning to me. I also have been experiencing allot of upper stomach discomfort/fullness after eating small meals(??) Don't know if this is all related to the Uribel or coincidental. Because of the listed side effects, likely related. Very discouraging, as I have loved feeling better, even if briefly. I have even slept 5 hours straight the last 3 nights!! This hasn't occurred in years! I usually wake up either secondary to pain, or to go to the bathroom every 2-3 hours.
              This Friday I begin pelvic floor therapy at the urogynocologist's office, along with a bladder instillation.

Comment

I got a rapid and irregular heartbeat from amitryptiline. It turns out that medication actually changes the conductivity of the nerves in the heart.... and it took a while to get back to normal. So this doesn't come as a surprise. Some medications can certainly cause heart rhythm changes. Sorry!!! but it's great you got off of it quickly.

Jill O.
                Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

Comment

My Pharmacist said Uribel is a mix of a few different medications. When I stopped taking it I started taking the one medication that was actually helping me with great results. If Uribel was helping maybe you and your doctor can figure out exactly what was helping and get rid of the rest. This disease just sucks. You find something that works but can't take it because it causes something even worse. When I started taking Ditropan for urethral spasms it really changed my life. I now feel normal most day with a mild flare if I eat something iffy or have some constipation. Always minor flares and they go quickly. Here is some info from Web MD about Uribel. Figure out what was helping and try just that. Most of these are cheap generics so they won't break the bank for you to try. Good luck.

This medication is used to relieve the discomfort, pain, frequent urge to urinate, and cramps/spasms of the urinary tract caused by an infection or a medical procedure. Methenamine is an antibiotic. Methylene blue is an antiseptic and is related to a group of drugs called monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAO inhibitors). Both methenamine and methylene blue help to prevent the growth of bacteria in the urine. Salicylate, which is related to aspirin, is a pain reliever. This product also contains an ingredient (such as sodium phosphate, benzoic acid) to make the urine more acidic, which helps methenamine work better. Hyoscyamine is an antispasmodic drug that relaxes the muscles of the urinary tract to relieve cramps/spasms.

Comment

Originally posted by icnmgrjill View Post
                    I got a rapid and irregular heartbeat from amitryptiline. It turns out that medication actually changes the conductivity of the nerves in the heart.... and it took a while to get back to normal. So this doesn't come as a surprise. Some medications can certainly cause heart rhythm changes. Sorry!!! but it's great you got off of it quickly.

Jill O.
                    I did the same on amitryptiline --- my blood pressure shot up to over 200 over slightly above 100. It did just the opposite of what it was supposed to do.

Donna
                    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

How was the instillation ?? Does it help. Well i have alot of urethra burning, do u think it would be beneficial for me?

Comment

Is uribel the same medicine as urogesic blue? Ty

Comment

Yes, it is the same as urogesic blue, which is the generic version of uribel
                          "She Believed She Could So She Did"
                          PGAD/IC/PFD & Hip/Leg pain
                          On: Hydroxyzine HCL 10mg, Nortriptyline 10mg, Clonazepam 0.5mg, Uribel as needed, Tramadol 50mg as needed
                          Things I do everyday: Drink tons of water, Breathing Techniques (4-7-8), Ice/Ice Massage, TENS Unit

***Diaphragmatic breathing***
                          • Make a daily routine!
                          • We can't control what happens to us, but we can control how we react!
                          • You can't predict the future, your next treatment may work!
                          • You never truly fail, if you never give up!
                          • Never Ever Giving Up!

Comment

I was so glad I read this. I just paid $50 for Urogesic Blue, which would have been $275 without insurance. Within an hour and a half of taking it, I got dizziness, extremely dry mouth, and a headache. It did absolutely nothing for the burning. I told the doctor I tried this years ago to no avail, and he said this is a new formula. I don't think I'm supposed to be taking an MAO-inhibitor with my drugs list either. One of my drugs is Nortriptylene (which I found far better than the Elavil). What a waste- another drug down the tubes.
                            We can help one another here. Sue

Comment

Donna,
                              Is there an anti-spasmodic that you have had success with?
                              Thank you,
                              Sue
                              We can help one another here. Sue

Comment

Working...
                              X