Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Elmiron become less effective over time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Elmiron become less effective over time?

I'm just curious about the future, as Elmiron is helping me (not entirely, but much less burning). I know lots of treatments come with the caveat that they may become less effective over time. Is there any research on this? Has anyone who found Elmiron effective at first had it become less effective or ineffective?

There was a study done that was looking to see if an increased dosage of Elmiron was more effective than the standard 300mg a day dose. They didn't find a difference in that study ---- but what they did find was that it seemed that the longer patients took Elmiron the better they felt. So, at least according to that study it appears that length of time on the drug helps its effectiveness. I have found this to be true in the 4 years I have been on it.

Now, I have seen some people post here from time to time that they had been on Elmiron for some time and that it seemed to stop working for them. I don't know if they were on other meds in conjunction with the Elmiron or not. I find that I need a combination of meds to feel my best - not just one med in isolation.
    Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

Here is info about that study:

ANAHEIM, Ca., June 3, 2001 - Interstitial cystitis (IC) patients taking pentosan polysulfate sodium (Elmiron®) experienced increased symptom relief with continued therapy, according to the results of a study presented today at the 96th Annual American Urological Association Meeting. Moreover, of patients completing the study, 67 percent assigned to the recommended 300 mg dose of Elmiron responded favorably, with patients assigned to higher doses reporting similar symptom improvement. All those completing the study reported symptom relief starting as early as four weeks and increasing steadily over the course of treatment from baseline.

"This is the first study to evaluate onset of effect and dose-response relationship in patients treated with Elmiron," said lead study investigator J. Curtis Nickel, M.D., of Queens University in Kingston, Ontario. "We were pleased to find that not only did symptoms improve for many patients as early as four weeks into treatment, but also that the majority of patients experienced increased symptom relief as the study progressed -- regardless of dose. These results are good news for IC patients, because they confirm the efficacy of Elmiron and suggest that even further improvements may be obtained with prolonged treatment."
      http://www.ic-network.com/newsroom/elmiron060601.html

and a more recent study:

May 1, 2005 - IC Research News

Elmiron Dose Ranging Study Finds No Difference

Ortho-McNeil sponsored a 32 week multicenter study which evaluated three dosages of Elmiron (300mg, 600mg, 900mg). Yet again, researchers found that there was no statistically significant difference in response between the three dosages. They suggest that duration of therapy, rather than dosage, appears to be the most important in obtaining results.
      http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:...ge+study&hl=en
      Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

Working...
      X