Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rnewman
    replied
    PTT has nothing to do with the liver....
    prothrobin time....its a clotting cascade that checks how quickly or readily your blood clots. The term INR is another test that is closely related. Those who are on coumadin therapy have these tests done often. Although Elmiron is not coumadin it is a good thing to monitor.

Betsie, I am so sorry to hear about your mother. Is she a candidate for transplant? I am sorry to hear she is sick and I wish the best for you, your family, and your mother.

Big hugs,
    Rachel

Leave a comment:

• rnewman
    replied
    Milk thistle does work for the liver, but it does not prevent damage and if you are on any medication you should still ALWAYS have your LFTs checked.

I would say once a year is adaquate. If it is a potentially livertoxic drug, like lipitor is, once every six months may be beneficial. If you have had a rise in liver functions that is not of a dangerous level, I would also say six months.

Once a year is adaquate, but if you are concerned, I also sometimes have my patients tested once after the introduction of a new medication, just to gauge the body's reaction to the new med.

For elmiron, I would also ask for a PTT, just to make sure your blood is not too thin, as Elmiron has blood thinning qualities.

Hope this helps!
    Rachel

Leave a comment:

• vm
    replied
    I get mine tested once a year.

Leave a comment:

• kiffy313
    replied
    Cali,
    I am not sure of how often. I have my liver function checked every 6 months anyway, due to I have been on Lipitor for years. I am not sure how often to check for the Elmiron. Maybe one of the others who has been "around" longer will know, or call your Dr. and ask? Good Luck to you.
    grouphug Kif

Leave a comment:

• Cali girl
    started a topic Elmiron and blood test for liver

Elmiron and blood test for liver

A previous post made me think of this topic. How often does one get their blood tested for their liver while on Elmiron? I have been on it since last July 2003 and my doctor has not even mentioned any blood tests for my liver.

Cali
Working...
X