Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you ALLOWED to mix Elmiron w/ WATER?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you ALLOWED to mix Elmiron w/ WATER?

I just started Elmiron a week ago, and was mixing it with a small amount of water (as a lot of others on here do, I see). I did this to try to avoid some side effects. But today I asked the pharmacist if this was okay to do, and she said she doesn't recommend mixing it with water, but put it on a soft food such as applesauce. Does anybody have the correct information about this? Did anyone's doctor say it was allowed? Applesauce is mostly water anyway, but does water change the formula? Believe it or not, I asked my own doctor today, and he doesn't know!!!

What differencw would it make to put it in juice or whater or even applesauce. I guess you could call the makers and ask them,,
    'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

I know, I am going to call tomorrow, but I don't want to continue taking it in water if it is destroying the formula...this is a shame, that my doctor doesn't know, and a pharmacist doesn't really know either....

Comment

The reason it isn't good in water is because you may not get all of the med. When you crush it in applesauce in a spoon, you are less likely to loose part of the med than if you dissolve it in water.
        http://www.TheCraftyEwe.etsy.com

Comment

When I dumped mine in water (it saved me from the horrible heartburn I was having) I'd use just about an inch of water, then add a little more - rinse the glass and drink it. I'd to that a couple times just to make sure I got it all! I know that I have read you can take it with a light snack if you are having tummy troubles with it, so I am interested to see what you find out on taking it with applesauce etc.... Do keep us posted!
          Hugs,
          Tracey
          How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:
          http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

Dx's:
          IC dx'd Nov 2004
          Lymphocytic Colitis dx'd July 2005
          Possible IBS
          Current IC Meds
          Vistaril 25mg in the evening
          Previous IC Meds taken:
          Cystoprotek - 2 caps 2x's a day
          Elmiron, 100mg 3x's a day
          Ditropan, 5 mg 3x's a day
          Others:
          Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
          Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
          Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
          Align Probiotic daily for IBS

Comment

That's what I've been doing! An inch of water, then re-rinse the cup. Did YOUR doctor say this was okay, since mine doesn't know? I will let you know the rest when I contact the company. Thank you.

Comment

Yep - lots of us take it that way. I was having hearburn so terribly that they were going to scope me - then the uro's PA suggested taking it out of the capsule etc etc etc (which I already knew it from reading it here at the ICN, but totally forgot about it, lol) and it saved me from scoping - heartburn went bye-bye.
              Hugs,
              Tracey
              How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:
              http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

Dx's:
              IC dx'd Nov 2004
              Lymphocytic Colitis dx'd July 2005
              Possible IBS
              Current IC Meds
              Vistaril 25mg in the evening
              Previous IC Meds taken:
              Cystoprotek - 2 caps 2x's a day
              Elmiron, 100mg 3x's a day
              Ditropan, 5 mg 3x's a day
              Others:
              Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
              Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
              Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
              Align Probiotic daily for IBS

Comment

Traceann, are you no longer on Elmiron? Anyway, I called Ortho Pharmaceuticals today, and they didn't really know either! They said that it's effectiveness was only tested in the capsule form, and they are not sure about putting it in water. I only got one representative, so I don't know if another one would say something else, but I give up! I just don't know if I should continue to take it this way...

Comment

I am new to all this. Can you tell me why you are taking it in water? I take 4 capsuels a day. I also open the caps and put it in with my home instillations. I have had this for years but only diagnosed about a year ago.
                  Melissa

Comment

The reason I am taking it in water is because I read on THIS site that a lot of people do this to avoid some of the side effects. I am not sure if this will work or not, but I just did it to avoid some side effects if possible. I may try it in the capsule and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                    X