Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Those Who Have Had Success w Elmiron!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Those Who Have Had Success w Elmiron!

I just started Elmiron treatment this morning.. I take 2 100mg in the am, and 1 100mg in the evening. And I have a general question about it that I wanted to ask

The prescription says that you have to take Elmiron 1 year before you eat and 2 to 3 hours after you eat. How strict to you have to be to this? Because it just seems so difficult to work around meals and snacks and such. If I have dinner at 8, then I can't take my night dose till 10! or even later!! I just don't know how I'm going to do that.. I like to snack at night, nothing heavy - but usually some crackers while I'm doing some work on my computer. So I'd just love to have some answers because it's seems like my eating schedule is just going to be so restrictive .. and I'm going to have to keep a timer attached to my belt to keep track of it all!!

Thank you!!
    I am Jenny.
    "Karma is affiliated with the Neopagan law of return or Threefold Law, the idea that the beneficial or harmful effects one has on the world will return to oneself."

Dx:
    -UTI's and Kidney infections: Since 6 months of age
    -HPV: November 2005
    -Advance high-grade pre-cancer cells found in cervix: January 2006
    -LEEP procedure: January 2006
    -IC: January 2007

Medications (Began Treatment 3/27/07):
    -Elmiron 100mg 3 x per day
    -Elavil 25 mg
    -Hydroxyzine HCL 10mg
    -Sanctura 20 mg 2 X per day (added 07/24/07)

Weekly Instillations @ Doctor (Starting 07/31/07 instillations will be performed by self at home - Wish me luck!)
    -20cc Lidocaine 2% Plain
    -2cc Sodium Bicarbonate 8.4%
    -1cc Heparin (10,000 units/cc)

Hi,
    I did take Elmiron for awhile and unfortunately had to stop but as to your question you will get a variety of answers.

I tried to give some time between meals and doses but others have said it really didn't matter.

Try to see what works for you and discuss this further with your Dr. if you are really concerned that you can't space to where you are comfortable and they may tell you not to worry about it.

I hope it works for you.
    Jolene

"Life is what happens when you are making other plans" John Lennon

IC diet cheat sheet....http://www.ic-network.com/diet/dietcheatsheet.html

Information for Patients can be found here.
    http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Jen's tips for great IC sex..http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22522&highlight=jens+tips[/url]

Newbie Angel...I will be happy to answer any questions or just listen. Email me at [email protected]

"IC Angel Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you."

Comment

I take it - been for quite a while (since 1998) I guess I would say how big of a snack? a few crackers I would think is ok? I know I have the same problems, so when I started I did ask my doctor and he said don't worry too much as long as you don't have a heavy meal with it.

Comment

My uro said it was okay to have a snack too. She said that an empty stomach helps it absorb better. I don't worry too much about when I've eaten before I take my Elmiron. I've been on it for a year and am pretty much in remission now! Hopefully it works for you too. I'd ask your doc for sure on the snacking. Mine understood. Its hard to go 4hrs without snacking on something!

Comment

My uro says it has to be taken according to directions. The easiest way I have found to take it where it doesn't disrupt my life is this: 2 capsules upon waking at 6-6:30am. I have to get my kids off to school so never eat before 8-9am anyway. Then I eat breakfast. I eat lunch around 12-12:30and take 1 more Elmiron at 2:30. Then I know anytime after 3:30 and for the rest of the night I can eat whenever I want.

This is really working for me. To take 2 upon waking up, your already on an 8hr empty stomach - and I don't know anyone who rolls out of bed and immediatly heads to the kitchen to eat!

My uro said it was fine to take it that way - 2 at once then 1 later in the day.

He also said not to let the statistics freak me out about the success of Elmiron. Those statistics are based on people who ONLY use Elmiron. Not including the other meds that help, physical therapy, instillation treatments, IC diet etc... All these therapies combined have a MUCH MUCH higher success rate than 19-36%.

Comment

It does seem overwhelming in the beginning, but you will get used to it and it's really not that bad. It takes several months if you ask me, to get used to taking it.

I also, like most people, eat at different times, depending on the day. You do have to think about it a little. I do take it on different times on different days depending on my eating habits that day.

I do try my best to take it on an empty stomach but I don't always wait the whole time. Most of the time I try to take it one hour before but will sometimes not wait a whole hour, and only make it till 40 min. And I don't worry about it so much.

I found the first dose of the day the easiest if you just take it when you first get up , that way your stomach is empty after all night and by the time you get ready to eat something after getting up, getting dressed, driving to work, etc etc an hour has gone by.

The second dose is a little more tricky, but you will work it out.

Good luck!
            Diagnosed with IC in 9/2005,
            Currently doing good, taking breaks from Elmiron, reduced amount.

Comment

I've found that, like soccermom, I take it first thing in the morning, then about 3 PM (a couple of hours after lunch). I also take it again at bedtime. I've been on it a week so far and I haven't had problems with the timing. However, I've had nausea today and a bit of a headache. Not sure if it's related to elmiron or not. I'm hoping not! I'm crossing my fingers that this will work.
              mom_in_ma

Comment

Elmiron timing

I am on Elmiron 200 mg twice a day. I take 200 mg of Elmiron when I first wake up. If I don't have to get ready to go somewhere, I go back to bed for an hour or get up and do some chores or read the paper. Then I eat breakfast once an hour has past. If I am going somewhere early I shower, do my makeup, dress etc. and then eat breakfast when the hour is up.

I usually take 200 mg of Elmiron around 6-630 pm. I make sure 2 hours have past since I last had a snack. I eat supper 1 hour after the Elmiron dose or longer. If I have to eat supper early - like 6 pm. I don't take the Elmiron first. I wait until two hours after I finished supper to take the second dose.

I don't have any children at home so eating later is what I am used to anyway.

It must be hard for people that are on Elmiron 100 mg three times a day to fit in the timing of the Elmiron and food intake.

Kathy

Comment

I take 1 Elmiron before going to bed. I usually wake up once some time in the am hour to pee so I take another Elmiron and go back to bed. I take another Elmirion when I get up in the morning. I find it easier to take this way because I don't have to worry about taking any Elmirion during the afternoon. The afternoon pill was always the hardest for me to schedule eating around. my stomach is always empty this way also.

Comment

Originally posted by PickPink View Post
                    I just started Elmiron treatment this morning.. I take 2 100mg in the am, and 1 100mg in the evening. And I have a general question about it that I wanted to ask

The prescription says that you have to take Elmiron 1 year before you eat and 2 to 3 hours after you eat. How strict to you have to be to this? Because it just seems so difficult to work around meals and snacks and such. If I have dinner at 8, then I can't take my night dose till 10! or even later!! I just don't know how I'm going to do that.. I like to snack at night, nothing heavy - but usually some crackers while I'm doing some work on my computer. So I'd just love to have some answers because it's seems like my eating schedule is just going to be so restrictive .. and I'm going to have to keep a timer attached to my belt to keep track of it all!!

Thank you!!
                    IF YOU TAKE ELMIRON ONE YEAR BEFORE YOU EAT, YOU'RE GONNA BE AWFULLY HUNGRY! Just kidding, of course, that was a funny typo in your post!

Comment

You have to take Elmiron 2 hours AFTER eating and 1 hour BEFORE eating.

I think its very important to be strict with this because so much is lost in digestion anyway before it makes it to our bladders.

I do it like this and find it doesn't interfere much with eating:

I take 2 Elmiron immediately when I wake up. You are on a very empty stomach then. So, this morning I got up at 8am took 2 Elmiron and know that I can eat anytime after 9am....not a big deal.

If I eat lunch at 12:30 - I take my next dose of Elmiron 2 hours after I eat so that would be 2:30. Not a big deal to know I can't eat again until 3:30. After 3:30 I'm in the clear to eat/drink whatever I want.

Hope that helps. It really helps me this way. Good luck!

Comment

What I do is keep the elmiron right by my bedside. When I first awake, I take one. Then turn on the snooze button. That gives you extra time before work.

I also, if needed because of food timing, take it in the middle of the night when I wake up to go pee.

Comment

I have huge stomach issues and was told by the pharmacist that you could have a light snack and should eat something especially if you have a sensitive stomach, that it wont matter either way. I stopped taking the elmiron due to side effects though.
                          Jen

Comment

I just wanted to say that I really enjoy my food and I really do HATE waiting to eat. I do, however, follow the recommendations for Elmiron strictly, but I hate every minute of it. I can totally relate to this thread!!!

Good luck!
                            Colleen
                            Diagnosed October 2006
                            Medications
                            Percocet
                            Hydroxine
                            Elmiron
                            Monthly installations

Comment

Yes, I also follow the instructions stricktly, and it's only frustrating when I find myself snacking 'off schedule.' That said, it's been great for my diet! I've lost four pounds because I've stopped snacking!
                              mom_in_ma

Comment

Working...
                              X