X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nola_heart
    replied
    Ya'll are Awesome!

I just wan to give everyone who has replied to my questions a huge THANK YOU. It means so much to know that people are out there who want and can help. I'm still very new to all of this and trying to figure out how to maneuver my way around here, I guess though I have plenty of time to do that,lol. So just thanks for all your support.
    Sincerely,
    Jennifer

Leave a comment:

• vm
    replied
    Here is a description of what they think Elmiron does:

Over the years, ELMIRONĀ® has been extensively discussed, studied and tested but much is still unknown about it. Dr. Lowell Parsons, a leading IC researcher who was instrumental in the development of ELMIRONĀ®, believes it works by providing a protective coating to the bladder wall. He believes that some IC patients have a damaged or "leaky" bladder lining (epithelium). For those that do, the ELMIRONĀ® coating appears to prevent urine, bacteria and other irritating substances from penetrating an otherwise "leaky" lining and causing inflammation in the muscle tissue.

http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/oral.html

Leave a comment:

• vm
    replied
    There are many other treatment options besides Elmiron , so if you end up NOT being able to get it ---- don't panic! There are other things to try. If you look at the ICN's free, online Patient Handbook you can read about some of the other things out there:

http//:www.ic-network.com/handbook

That said, definitely appeal that insurance decision! Elmiron does not help everyone, but for some of us it makes a big difference! I have had ZERO side effects. I have not experienced hair loss on it and I've been on it for nearly 6 years now.

So, see if you can appeal it. If you end up not being able to afford it, rest assured that there ARE other options out there for treating your symptoms.

Here is a link to information about prescription assistance programs:

http://www.ic-network.com/drugassistance/
    Last edited by vm; 05-03-2007, 11:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bethrlk
    replied
    Hi Nola,

I was in your boat when my insurance company denied covering the Elmiron...my uro was great! Ask your doctor to appeal on your behalf - many times they will reconsider if your physician explains the condition and the benefits of Elmiron.

Elmiron does not help everybody, but it is worth a shot. My hair began falling out (like the previous post's) and I stopped it for 3 months - BAD MISTAKE - flared for sometime. I would rather take the Elmiron, knowing it is making my condition more bearable and invest in extensions (which I have).

By the way, I am a teacher - always up in front of students, faculty - and my appearance IS important to me. But, I'd rather be balding and be on the Elmiron, than worry about the hair loss....

Good luck!

Hugs,
    Beth

Leave a comment:

• Roxie2007
    replied
    HI I agree with Donna, you need to appeal the insurance's deniling...and don't give up! I had to do that with several meds my insurance wouldn't cover. Don't take no for an answer and they usually will back down and give in. Who ever you talk with first with your insurance company tell them you want to talk to their superior....and keep going up the line. It's not easy but don't give up. Good luck! Roxie

Leave a comment:

• amartaingirl
    replied
    re

to be quite honest..i wish i never took the elmiron.
    my hair is falling out like crazy
    i quit it a few weeks back..

secondly, i dont think elmiron actually "heals" the bladder. i dont think anything does that.

but they are MANY other meds

diet is very important
    i am on elavil
    i am also on aloe vera pills...check out
    desertharvest.com

Leave a comment:

• tigger_gal
    replied
    Hi Nola,

Call the company and they may be able to help you pay for the rx.
    There are several different type of med combos that can help you manage IC
    for bladder spasms there is urised, pyridum .. anti-spasm meds.

I am glad you found us, you will find a wealth of info within these pages and tons of support,

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    If you have prescription coverage, I would appeal their denial. Your doctor should be able to help with the appeal by writing a letter to them.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• nola_heart
    started a topic Help with Elmiron

Help with Elmiron

I was just diagnose with IC last Thursday. Please bare with me this is all very new and a bit scary. My doctor prescribed Elmiron but my problem is, is that I my insurance won't pay for it and I can not afford it. I have no one to help me get it and my doctor says that it's the only thing that will repair my bladder. Is there anyone that knows of a way I could get help getting this medicine? Please help me.
    Thanks,
    Jennifer
    Last edited by nola_heart; 05-03-2007, 02:27 AM.
Working...
X