elmiron almost entirely excreted from the body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elmiron almost entirely excreted from the body

In light of the following facts why elmiron works at all is a mystery. any comments.

Pharmacology
    Pentosan is believed to work by providing a protective coating to the damaged bladder wall. The critical flaw of the medication, however, is its exceptionally poor bioavailability when taken orally. Research presented late in 2005 by Alza Pharmaceuticals (Metabolism of [3H]pentosan polysulfate sodium (PPS) in healthy human volunteers. Xenobiotica. 2005 Aug;35(8):775-84.) demonstrates that more than 84% of the medication is excreted, intact, in feces without providing any beneficial effect. Their research found that only 6% was excreted through urine. Thus, it must be taken for several months for most patients to achieve some benefit. More recently, however, Elmiron has been studied as part of a "rescue instillation" which is placed directly in the bladder and can, perhaps, provide better effectiveness. C. Lowell Parsons has presented a research study which shows a 90% effectiveness in reducing the symptoms of IC patients by using this instillation.

re

i quit elmiron 7 weeks ago due to hair loss
    and my hair is still falling out today.

so, it guess its still in my system

everything else is normal
    Quit ELMIRON due to hair loss
    Cystoprotek ROCKS!

find me on FACEBOOK -
    search my email [email protected]

Current Meds:
    AM Cystoprotek & ATARAX 50mg
    Dinner CYSTOPROTEK
    PM Elavil 25mg

Comment

I have been taking elmiron for 2 months and I use a shampoo called nioxin(sold only in salons), and so far I have not noticed increased hair loss.
      I don't know for sure if the nioxin is why, but I use it as a preventative measure!

Comment

Elmiron dose

That is exactly why a lot of Uro's are putting their patients on 6 Elmiron a day as a base dose instead of the usual 3.
        I have been on Elmiron for a year and my hair actually seems thicker than it was before. I also carry a higher estrogen level and my theory that elmiron may block estrogen, hence an increase in androgens and possible hair problems is just my pet theory, but I wonder?
        Sammi

Sammi

Meds: Melatonin 3mg @ bedtime if needed. Estrogen 1.5 mg troche and 0.1 mg Estrace cream.
        Diagnosis: IC, PFD (both in remission)

Comment

My thoughts are that however little of this is actually "retained" in the bladder helps some of us immensely. It is a mystery, but one I am extremely grateful for. Very cool that so little of the med can still help some of us so much.
          Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

I am doing Elmiron 3x/day orally and the first week I had 3 instils. and then weekly after that for a few months (until the Elmiron works in my body). I have noticed a little bit of hair loss and tried Nioxin. I had an allergic response to it. They said your scalp may be red or tingle for a little. It was on fire and my neck/back/shoulders/arms were red and itched... for 3 days. It was terrible. I guess Nioxin is a no go for me. I think the instils help (the lidocane mostly, but Elmiron into the bladder is a good thing).
            [SIZE="1"][B]Be well, Alyssa :hi:[/B]

[

Comment

Elmiron works for me. The only hair loss I have noticed is on my legs and my under arms. I have not shaved my legs for months and there still isn't much hair there. That goes for my underarms as well. I am not sure if it is the Elmiron that is doing this, but I'm not complaining.
              Meds I take:
              Elmiron, Elavil, Vagifem- for IC
              Albuterol, Flovent, Atrovent- for Asthma and lung problems
              Paxil, Clonazepam- for depression and Anxiety
              Atenolol- for rapid heart rate
              Nexium- for Gerd
              Levothyroxin- for Hypothyroidism
              Lasix, Pottasium- for edema
              Lipitor- for High Cholesterol
              I coated aspirin
              02 at bedtime

Comment

Mel53H, I noticed some shedding on my head, but the hair loss isn't all that noticeable to anyone else (except when wet during a hair cut the stylist saw it). Anyways... I hope my legs and arm pits experience hair loss! Talk about an unexpected benefit!!!

I wonder if the hypothyroidism you have affects your body hair...
                Last edited by born2swim; 05-08-2007, 06:37 AM. Reason: added something
                [SIZE="1"][B]Be well, Alyssa :hi:[/B]

[

Comment

I was one of those who had no relief after 8 months on Oral Elmiron and dealing with nasty side affects. By the time the Uro I was seeing thought of putting it in installs, my insurance wouldn't cover it. So I have moved on to a new Doc and trying new things. I am thankful that Elmiron has helped many people here though. Perhaps they will be able to make it more effective in the future.....
                  Rachel
                  DX's:
                  IC; PFD; possible Fibromyalgia; IBS;

Symptoms: Frequency, Urgency, pelvic and bladder pain, bladder and pelvic spasms, difficulty starting urination, weak stream, incontinence, vaginal and urethral pain

I've Tried:
                  three Hydrodistentions, various Rescue Installments; 6 DSMO treatments; Pyridium Plus; Proced; Detrol (patch); Elavil; Uricet K; Elmiron; Nortiptyline; Ultram; Allegra; Ditropan; Ditropan ER; Vesicare; regular Lidocain; Neurontin; Lyrica; and few more I can't remember!
                  Currently using:
                  Valium; Vicadin; Proced DS; Claritin; Buffered Lidocain; Cymbalta; Baclofen; Prazosin @ night (also on Prednisone and Adderall for my joint pain and severe fatigue)
                  Heating pads; frozen water bottles; A&D ointment; Poise pads; IC dieter since 8/06; yoga; imagery & relaxation CD, Mindfullness, self healing CD's; hot baths; seat cushion; prayer
                  I am 28 yrs old, dx'ed in '06, still trying to get my health undercontrol!!

Comment

Working...
                  X