Has Anyone Become Pregnant While On Elmiron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Anyone Become Pregnant While On Elmiron

Has anyone become pregnant while on elmiron. My doc says they don't really know that much about elmiron to be sure if it is risky or not. Has anyone taken it through the pregnancy? I would love any feedback anyone has! Thank you!

My uro said to go off of Elmiron while trying to concieve and while pregnant, but my baby doc said that if I started to flare that I could go back on it. I think that all drs have different opinions about it. I'm trying to do the whole thing med free just in case. So far so good!!!

Comment

I am just over 12 weeks along in my pregnancy and I was taking Elmiron while trying to conceive and I continue to take it.

This is something that NEEDS to be discussed with your doctor. Each OB or PCP will have different rules or guidlines for how to handle your meds if you are trying to concieve. Mine decided it was healthier (ulitmately) for me and baby for the IC to be managed and for me to be as calm and low pain as possible. Others feel very differently and want you to be med free, regardless.

So far I am doing well and the baby seems fine, but you never know. Discuss it with your doctors!

Aly
      Dx: 3/05
      Symptoms: Pain, urgency, frequency, insomnia

Treatments: Neurontin, Ultram, Elmiron, Detrol LA, Ambien/Sonata, Prilosec/Prevacid (for GERD), brisk walks, cold packs, hot pads, meditation.

Comment

Thanks Aly! Congratulations on your pregnancy! I didn't know if the elmiron caused difficulty in ttc, but I don't think so now. Did it take you long to conceive? What meds does you doc have you take?
        I hope you are feeling good, I know the 1st trimester can be hard! Take good care of yourself!
        Gwen

Comment

ladies

Hey ladies..there is a whole thread devoted to this

Threads in Forum : Considering Pregnancy With Interstitial Cystitis
          Quit ELMIRON due to hair loss
          Cystoprotek ROCKS!

find me on FACEBOOK -
          search my email [email protected]

Current Meds:
          AM Cystoprotek & ATARAX 50mg
          Dinner CYSTOPROTEK
          PM Elavil 25mg

Comment

Thank you, I will check it out!

Comment

yes i got pregnant while on Elmiron....it's a blood thinner so as long as your OB is aware you are on it.....it shouldn't cause a problem.

although it is always best to be drug free during pregnancy if its something you NEED it dosnt have to be stopped cold turkey
              Erika
              wife to Jeremy
              mom to Emma (3-8-05)
              and Natalie (7-23-07)

Meds i'm currently taking:
              Lortab as needed for pain

Meds that did not help:
              Detrol LA
              Lexapro (caused urgency)
              Amatryptaline 10mg once a day (helped IC but made me feel like CRAP)

Comment

I also conceived while taking Elmiron. I stopped it as soon as I found out. Everything went fine and I have a healthy 5 year old now.
                Best of luck to you!
                Tons of support,
                Jaime

IC angel helping families in need for the holidays. [email protected]

Comment

Did you feel ok throughout the pregnancy without it? I worry about the bladder getting worse without the protective coating from elmiron.

Comment

I went to a support group one time, and the RN and most of the group members told me that it was fine to take Elmiron during pregnancy. But then again my uro said I had to take it for the rest of my life unless I wanted to get pregnant then I have to stop
                    Onset of symtoms November 1, 2006

Diagnosed December 8, 2006 with cysto/hydrodistention... Gradual relief with elmiron around month two, keep feeling better and better. and then remission

2008 Update...still in remission

Diagnosis: IC
                    Meds: Elmiron 300mg/day, hydroxyzine 25 mg 1x/day

Myspace: Add me! Im always looking make new IC friends. http://www.myspace.com/45171133

Comment

grr

It really annoys me that there are doctors out there who tell women they must go off all meds.

To me, this is not practicing medicine. Any dummy off the street is capable of telling a woman to take nothing.

That requires no skill whatsoever.

Grrr!! I'll be moving out of state soon so hopefully I can find another OB who is willing to continue treating my IC if/when I get pregnant.

I was lucky to find my current OB/Gyn. She is allowing me to take everything except Restoril b/c it's a pregnancy category X. The rest of my meds are B & C and she said that would be alright.

I know there are a lot of people who will be judgemental about this but.... I'm the one who has IC.
                      Lee Ann
                      Current Rx Meds:
                      Atarax, Ditropan, Elmiron
                      Prior to pregnancy: The above 3 meds PLUS Neurontin, Topamax, Loratadine, continuous OrthoCyclen, Lidocaine Patches PRN, Temazepam PRN, & Vicodin PRN
                      Hooray for babies!
                      Misc. lifesavers: Hot baths, ThermaCare Heat Wraps, Ice Packs. The IC Diet has changed my life.
                      Didn't work for me:
                      Detrol LA, Amitryptiline, Morphine, Percocet, TENS unit, Interferential Pain Stimulator Unit, Hypogastric Plexus Nerve Block
                      IC (Mod-Severe) since 1996

UPDATE: 5/21/08 Pregnancy and breastfeeding afterwards have alleviated my IC symptoms more than anything, EVER. Most days are 100% pain free & I now have normal frequency (as long as I take these 3 meds).

My little sweetie! Jack weighed 9 lbs 12 oz and was born via c-section on Feb. 28, 2008...

Comment

I totally agree LeeAnn
                        Onset of symtoms November 1, 2006

Diagnosed December 8, 2006 with cysto/hydrodistention... Gradual relief with elmiron around month two, keep feeling better and better. and then remission

2008 Update...still in remission

Diagnosis: IC
                        Meds: Elmiron 300mg/day, hydroxyzine 25 mg 1x/day

Myspace: Add me! Im always looking make new IC friends. http://www.myspace.com/45171133

Comment

Working...
                        X