Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sphinx
    replied
    I'm thinking a quick call to my doc before my next visit will iron this out...as it is, I'm taking it at all weird times, hardly ever the same times. I usually keep the pill and a bottle of water at my bedside to take at my last pee before getting up (if I take it at a middle of the night pee, the water I drink would just add an extra pee during the night, and I have enough as it is, lol!)....but on my days off I am so exhausted.....between fibro and RA, working a few days in a row makes me feel like I have to "recover" and I am always tired anyway. I inevitably sleep in, and for whatever reason that throws me off. Sometimes I forget to even bring the med to bed with me, even if I do, sometimes I forget to take it......so I am stuck when I get up late taking it and being hungry until it's been in my system a bit.

I usually take my second pill an hour or so before dinner. On work day I bring my meds and take it before I leave for home. But some days (like yesterday) I forget, and before I know it, I've already eaten and I take both doses before bed. I think twice daily dosing would be easier for me, all my other meds are either once or twice daily. I also want to talk to him about my vistaril, if he could prescribe me a higher dose pill-getting tired of taking 4 itty bitty pills to equal 40mg, lol!

Leave a comment:

• girl
    replied
    I am no longer on Elmiron, but when I took it, I took advantage of the getting up ten times a night to pee, and took what would be my afternoon dose at 2-3 in the morning. Then I had my morning dose before breakfast ,, and only had to fit one more in somewhere. My doc told me it didn't matter if two were closer together, as long as I got all three in.

Leave a comment:

• Kathleen Philli
    replied
    I have been on Elmiron for many years. The actual dosing schedule has been loosened up by Dr. Parsons,and he now has many patients on twice a day scheduling. It is much easier to comply with, and in the end, you are much more likely to get the right dose in you. Like many others here, I take one dose when I get up to pee at night. usually around 4-5am. Then, I can eat breakfast when I get up without waiting. I usually take my second dose at around 5:00pm and have dinner at 6:30-7:00. It works well for me, but I don't eat between meals alot. I take 2pills twice a day, but I am fortunate that I don't have much in the way of side effects from it. I don't think your doctor will mind as long as you let him know what you are doing.

Leave a comment:

• sphinx
    replied
    Well I think I've decided to phone my Uro this coming week about alternative dosing schedules. This past week I've screwed up a couple times on days I've worked, so judging by what you've all said, perhaps I can take a slightly different schedule like twice daily or something.

Leave a comment:

• Shana1234
    replied
    2 twice a day

My dr. has me take 2 in the morning and 2 at night. Not sure why I'm taking 400mg but he thought it would be easier than the three times per day. I've only taken it for 2 months so I don't know if it's working yet, but that's my routine anyway.

Leave a comment:

• dragonflylady
    replied
    My urogyn just told me yesterday that it's OK to take it twice a day--2 in the morning and 1 at night since that afternoon dose is so difficult to remember or get around to.

Leave a comment:

• Jcdc35
    replied
    I am very new and was just actually prescribed Elmiron today. My doctor told me the 3x a day on an empty stomach is difficult so she told me to take it twice a day. ONe in the morning when I wake up and 1 at night before bed. Like I said, I am brand new and just got the script 2 hours ago. I have to get it filled after work. I just thought i would mention how it is being prescribed to me. I am also on Urelle and have been able to decrease that from 3x a day to 1 a day ONLY BECAUSE I AM STICKING STRICTLY TO THE IC DIET. I have to say that out loud. I believe that is the main reason i am improving.

Leave a comment:

• born2swim
    replied
    sphinx,

I have trouble with my afternoon dose as well. My morning one, I wake up and take it immediately. I shower, get ready for class, then grab something to eat about 45-60 minutes after I took the first dose. In the afternoon, I try to get one in an hour before I eat lunch. If I don't and eat instead, I don't take it. My urologist said it's not worth taking if I just ate. Now, due to some bruising, she said to stop my afternoon dose all together. That's frees me up!

Good luck! Just try to set a timer, 1 hour before your lunch break and take it then. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Leave a comment:

• babygirlh1
    replied
    I would suggest you give yourself a few weeks to see if you can adjust your schedule to fit the dosages in. If not, check with your doctor because dosages can be changed as other's have suggested. I take all 3 dosages at night because I can hardly get out of bed in the morning if I don't. Initially, it is difficult to schedule the Elmiron with your other meds, but before you know it you will be a pro. It will get easier.

Leave a comment:

• GriffsMommy
    replied
    The NP at the gyn's office who did my PST and prescribed me the Elmiron said that many patients take the first dose in the morning on an empty stomach and then take the last 2 doses at night together after dinner time and there didn't seem to be a change in how it worked. I tried to take it during the day but I had the same problem with having a snack and I would forget to take it. I don't even bother anymore. I just take 2 at night when it's been about 2 hours since we ate dinner if it's been less time I really don't stress about it. It makes it easier and since I take other meds at night at this time it's easier for me to remember.

Maybe ask your dr if it is okay to take it this way?

Leave a comment:

• sphinx
    replied
    So far, if I take it on my days off it's not been bad, cuz I can easily take it when I get up and wait an hour to eat. Work days are tougher because between getting up and eating it's not an hour. What I ended up doing is bringing the pill and a water bottle full of ice water to bed at night and when my alarm first goes off, to take it then...I usually hit the snooze a couple times. I have to get up slowly like that because I am always so tired, plus so stiff related to RA that it takes me a while to get out of the bed. The last dose of the day isn't bad either, because I can take it at bedtime a couple hours after bed...it's the mid-day dose that is hard. Maybe I won't get so uptight about a small snack.

Leave a comment:

• jen74
    replied
    When I prescribed the elmiron, my doc told me to actually take it with a small snack to avoid stomach upset since I have stomach issues already. Even the pharmacist said it would be fine to take it with a small snack( maybe a couple crackers or something).
    I could not continue the elmiron though due to bad side effects.
    Jen

Leave a comment:

• Kathy in Canada
    replied
    Timing of Elmiron Doses

Hi,

I take Elmiron 200 mg twice a day. I take the first dose right away when I wake up and then wait an hour to eat breakfast. I shower and get dressed before breakfast. I make sure any afternoon snacks are done with by 4 pm. I take the second dose around six pm and eat an hour or more later. If I want to eat dinner earlier, I take the 2nd dose of Elmiron two hours after I finished eating.

Kathy

Leave a comment:

• mary124
    replied
    I am on Elmiron and have been since 1997 and still have problems taking it on an empty stomach!! My doctor said it really didn't matter much. In the morning, though, I usually have to get up around 5:00 to go to the bathroom (this is an hour before I actually get up so i take my first dose of Elmiron at this time). At lunch, I switch my lunch hour to an earlier time (11:00a.m) this way I can take it at 1:30 or so. Sometimes it doesn't work out as I get the "munchies" or at work we are having an all day snack deal so if this happens I usually take it while I'm eating. Then at night, I take it after 9:00pm.. Like I said, its usually by afternoon dose that i either miss or take differently even after all these years!! But I don't think it really matters - much, as my doctor told me, he said "you're doing good by getting 2 doses a day in you with as much medication as you take!"

Leave a comment:

• sphinx
    replied
    Thanks for responding. Perhaps I shouldn't be so worried. I guess I am just feeling choked by the amount of meds I take now...even before this, I was already taking a lot of meds for several other problems (Bipolar, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, GERD, and allergies. Even before starting new meds I'd already begun feeling that "I'm tired of pills" feeling. When I was just on meds for bipolar, I was cool with it...it took me a long time to find the right combo, and even though I had to take a combination of drugs, it helped so much I was grateful. It's also taken a combination of drugs to get my RA under control.......and yes I'm grateful. If the new meds can help with the IC I am sure I'll be overjoyed too, having suffered for years before a diagnosis

I've not had any side effects at all so far (knock on wood) so at least there's that. I just need to find a balance between med doses and eating, and hopefully not get so fixated that I gain weight over it by over-eating at meal time to make up for the "several small meals" I prefer to have.

I appreciate the support!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X