Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have to stop elmiron before medical procedures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nevergiveup
    replied
    elmiron n surgery

I have been on elmiron cap form for 2 yrs n my experience is following: I have had major dental surgery n I did not stop elmiron. I was very careful during the healing process I took my antibiotics which the only one that doesnt affect my bladder too bad is pennicillin, cleansed properly and my teeth and gums healed really well. The only thing was on the bleeding after extractions I used my husbands military clot forming shell gauze to stop bleeding it took for ever to stop. My dentist uses alot of suction. My oral surgeon okayed to keep taking elmiron during procedures.

Leave a comment:

• mary124
    replied
    the test you want to request is a PT/INR/PTT
    Can't do this in the doctors - have to go to the lab.

Leave a comment:

• purpleviolet
    replied
    blood thinning

I think if you are worried about that you could request a blood test and then you won't have to worry.

Leave a comment:

• cmclien
    replied
    Thanks for the comments. That was the understanding I was under, that at this dose it is not a blood thinner. But I will definitely check with their office and nurse.

Leave a comment:

• mary124
    replied
    You really do need to ask the doctor beforehand. I have had more than my share of procedures (hydros) and never did have to stop the elmiron; I did ask the doctor/pharm. about stopping elmiron but they said that there wasn't enough blood thinning properties in it to worry about, I do however have to be off Coumadin for 3 days.

Leave a comment:

• dg2901
    replied
    I've had a couple of procedures done (both surgical) while on Elmiron and did not have to stop it prior to the procedure. This was OK'd by the attending physicians and confirmed at my pre-op appts with the hospital's pharmacist. Any bruising I had was considered normal for the procedure that was being done.

Only your Dr can advise you whether to stop taking a medication prior to a procedure. If your Dr knows what youre taking s/he should have given you exact instructions as to what is considered OK to take prior to your appt. If you're unsure, give your DR's office a call.

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    You really need to ask your doctor. If elmiron was listed on your medication list when the procedure was scheduled, you should have been told if you needed to stop it.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• Do you have to stop elmiron before medical procedures?

So I am wondering. I have a medical procedure coming up, outpatient, not a big procedure at all, no cutting, slicing etc! Just needles at a dermatologists office. Its one where they tell you to stop advil, aleve, vitamin e, flaxseed oil etc a week ahead as they thin the blood and cause more bruising.

I read that elmiron is actually a very weak blood thinner but I also read in an interview with Dr. Parsons that he says its so weak at the level we take it that its not a blood thinner and you can take it with aspirin and advil etc.

So my question is have any of you had medical procedures and did you have to stop the elmiron? And if you didn't stop was everything ok in the bruising category?

Thanks
Working...
X