Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elmiron manufactured in other countries - how do you get it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• honeymuffin
    replied
    @purpleviolet - You're correct, my bad, they both say BNP 7600 and not Elm. I checked my receipt and it says the manufacturer is Ortho so I know they're the same pills I was taking before. Good to know some pharmacies ship different stuff though, I'll be sure to watch out for that if I have to order again! Hoping I'll find some in US before my stock is over so I don't have to shell out another $500 again.

Leave a comment:

• purpleviolet
    replied
    How to know where pills are from

The bottle I got said it was made by arthropharm with an australian address and the pharmacy in Canada also listed the source. Does yours come in a prescription bottle with no info? I also took apart both pills and tasted the powder a bit but I should do it again. I just stopped taking my Elmiron since the last six weeks I've been taking the new stuff - just 2 a day I have gotten almost steadily worse and my urine culture was negative. I don't know why I am in a huge long flare. It may have nothing to do with foreign Elmiron. I've just about stopped all my supplements too. It may be stress and nothing to do with Elmiron. I waited all these years to try it for fear of my hair falling out and now my hair didn't fall out but my prescription insurance did - hee hee.

You should ask the pharmacy where it is from if is not obvious. The real pill I got from the USA do not say Elm on them. I'm not home at the moment but I googled it and Elmiron pills say BNP 7600 on them.

Leave a comment:

• honeymuffin
    replied
    @purpleviolet - I'm confused. How do you determine it's a different medicine made in Australia? The pills I got from Canada say Elm on them as well, as have all my previous ones I got in the US. I looked at them side by side and they looked exactly the same.

I've been taking these new ones for the past 10 days and have not noticed any difference in symptoms or side effects. Elmiron's supposedly a drug whose effects are cumulative anyway, so I think realistically one wouldn't notice a difference right away even if the new batch was ineffective.

Leave a comment:

• purpleviolet
    replied
    more interesting info

I see that pentosan polysulphate sodium is also made in China and it seems any company could order it. I found it through this link - this company is a huge clearing house for thousands of products made in China and the company making the chemical (Afine Chemical Limited) makes hundreds if not thousands of chemicals and sells stuff in quantity.
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/28...te_sodium.html

I just find this behind the scenes stuff interesting. I don't know where this chemical ends up, however, and legally what companies can do with it.

Leave a comment:

• purpleviolet
    replied
    to anyone getting foreign "Elmiron"

When you get see if it is made by Arthropharm ( you may be able to tell on the phamacy's website) which is in Australia or by what company. My pills said "ELM" on the pills. Don't take your last real Elmiron pill until you get your new pills. Take them apart and compare. Let us know what you think. I don't feel so good right now and I don't know if it is just me or that any Elmiron doesn't work for me or whether this Australian Elmiron doesn't work for me. Let us know how you fare. Thanks, PV

P.S. My pills cost $495 for 300 no shipping charge. This is about 1/3 price of real Elmiron if you have no prescription insurance. Does anyone know the reason for the shortage? Can't believe the company didn't see it coming and can leave people stranded.

Leave a comment:

• honeymuffin
    replied
    Sorry I saw this post late. I can't remember at the moment which pharmacy I ordered from (my receipt is at home) but I found this website to be helpful for getting the contact infor for several pharmacies and comparing prices:
    http://www.pharmacychecker.com/Prici...rengthId=30549

I placed the order on the phone, paid with a credit card and faxed them the prescription from my doctor. Was a very easy process.

Leave a comment:

• jdsong1
    replied
    Originally posted by honeymuffin View Post
    My two bottles of Elmiron arrived from the Canadian pharmacy yesterday They were shipped from Winnipeg, Canada. Here's a link I found on the legality of importing drugs:

http://www.ehow.com/facts_4911225_le...gs-canada.html
    What pharmacy did you buy this from in Canada? Do they have a number? My mom was told by her Dr today that she should call a Canadian pharmacy and get it and he would send a script over via fax to them. How do you pay when ordering out of the country for this? Thank you for any info on the pharmacy you may have.

Leave a comment:

• honeymuffin
    replied
    My two bottles of Elmiron arrived from the Canadian pharmacy yesterday They were shipped from Winnipeg, Canada. Here's a link I found on the legality of importing drugs:

http://www.ehow.com/facts_4911225_le...gs-canada.html

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    Several years ago before we had prescription insurance we ordered from a Canadian pharmacy --- for a while the packages were mailed from Canada, but then the US government made it illegal --- after that the Canadian pharmacy shopped worldwide for our prescriptions and they mostly came from pharmacies somewhere in the United States, but at a much less expensive rate than what we can get locally.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• LithEruiel
    replied
    Someone posted this in another topic: http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/.../ucm050792.htm

It says the estimate is 2-3 months. Someone on Facebook said her online pharmacy said they won't have it until the second week of July. These both seem more optimistic than the Ortho site, but who knows which is right??

Leave a comment:

• purpleviolet
    replied
    ordering "elmiron" from Canada

There are pharmacies in Canada that are CIPA certified, but that does not mean that the drugs come from Canada. They get the drugs internationally. I don't know what Canadians get for Elmiron in Canada. In other words are these Canadian pharmacies selling just to outside Canada? I'm not sure. As I said before the drugs they get are from other countries. It seems these phamacies get "Elmiron" from arthropharm in Australia and that they make pentosan polysulphate sodium but it is not exactly clear if it just for dogs or for people, too but somehow Canada can get it to us. You can see the arthropharm website from Australia. The bottle says Elmiron and that it is for the bladder and the pill has ELM printed on it. Since I don't know how well the real Elmiron was working, it is hard for me to compare. I know it is cheaper. If this is illegal wouldn't the FDA ban it's import? I got mine from affordable drugs but there are other Canadian phamacies. Each has its own shipping charge policies and pricing so I had to search around. They let me email a copy of the prescription to them instead of actually mailing the original which I liked, so I did not have to worry about it getting lost in the mail, etc. Maybe this would help some of you if the Elmiron shortagae goes on a long time. Any explanation for that?

Leave a comment:

• LithEruiel
    replied
    Thanks for the info! Wonder if they use it for feline idiopathic cystitis?

What is it called in Australia?

Leave a comment:

• purpleviolet
    replied
    'generic' elmiron

I could not afford USA elmiron and now I see there is a shortage anyway. I ordered some from a reputable Canadian pharmacy for 300 pills for $495 which is still expensive but the co. that makes it in australia makes it for arthritis and for dogs under another name! OK I pulled apart the capsules and the substance seems about the same...but I got this big flare after switching from the real stuff to the australian stuff ( I wasn't sure it had been working anyway). Then I found a study online about comparing all the companies that make pentosan polysulfate sodium, which was news to me that several companies make it...but it said there was one making it for people and 3 making it for animals! It found subtle differences among the 3 making it for animals but didn't seem to compare it to the people one (Elmiron).I am really not worried about the australian stuff being bad for me because I believe it really is pentosan polysulphate, but what I do wonder about is whether it is as absorbable because Elmiron is so poorly absorbed to begin with. It takes me months to get a an appt. with the urologist so that is not going to resolve this now. Besides it was I that requested the prescription from the nurse to get the canadian pharmacy to order it and she complied. That is all I know.

Leave a comment:

• LithEruiel
    replied
    I totally think it's possible for the flares to be from stress and sitting all day. My IC is worst when I have class all day and I'm just sitting there bored and annoyed. I tend to feel better on break, but not always. I also have less frequency at work since I'm walking all day and so I'm busy I don't have time to think about how much I'm going to the bathroom.

Leave a comment:

• honeymuffin
    replied
    Thanks Donna, I'll try that. I'm going to Walgreens tomorrow morning but not very optimisitc.

LithEruiel - Nope, never had to before. I was trying different sites on the web yesterday in a panic and called a couple. Apparantly Monday is a national holiday in Canada so they'll let me know on Tuesday if they have it available. It was around $180-$220 for 100 tablets plus shipping on various sites. Even if they have it available, the fastest they can get it to me is 5-10 business days after Tuesday after they receive my prescription via fax.

To give some background, I was diagnosed in Jan with severe IC and Hunners' ulcers after suffering the symptoms for years and trying three different doctors. Been on Elmiron since and got the DMSO in April. Despite all that and doing the diet strictly, I had been on a non-stop six month flare and was getting quite depressed about all the lifestyle changes. After the DMSO treatments ended, I travelled out of the country for a three vacation to visit my family. Within a few days of arriving there all my symptoms magically disappeared! I even went off the diet and ate spicy and acidic foods and still felt great the entire time. Now that I'm back in the US, I'm flaring again No pain yet but definitely frequency, discomfort and nocturnia even though I'm back on the diet. I don't know if it's the stress of going back to work, sitting on my arse in the office all day or just something I can't identify in the food and water here...All I know is I'm not ready to go off the meds just yet and I need all the help I can get.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X