Elmiron and Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmiron and Weight

while I do have questions about other side effects, right now I just want to focus on the (potential) side effect of weight changes. I am about to start it, but I have had such bad experiences with some medicines (TCAs and SSRIs, mostly) causing painfully rapid weight gain. since then, I can't start a new medicine without having some idea of what to expect with my body.

so! I would really appreciate if anyone could share their experiences: have you gained or lost weight while taking Elmiron? do you think this can be attributed to the medication, or do you think other factors were involved? was there no effect on weight at all? were there changes in appetite?

thank you, I appreciate the help in addressing this concern I have for my new prescription!

No weight gain from Elmiron

I didn't gain any weight from Elmiron, however, gained many dozens of lbs on TCAs, SSRIs, SNRIs, Savella, Anti-Epileptics.

I was nauseous when taking Elmiron for the first couple of weeks until my body adjusted. However, that made me eat more, trying to soothe the nausea, rather than eat less. It settled out.

Give Elmiron a good try. It don't think it lists weight changes at all in the possible side effects. Other meds like Lyrica and TCAs do mention it.
    Sonja

Dx: Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy/Congestive Heart Failure-1997, Vulvar Vestibulitis-2006, IC-Feb 2007, Atrophic Vaginitis 08, Heavy Long and Painful Periods leading to Partial Hysterectomy-2007, Rectal Fissure-2007, Pelvic Floor Dysfuntion-2008, Post-Menopausal-2010

Meds: Coreg, Elmiron, Elestrin, Est/Test Topical Gel, Valium Suppositories, Lyrica, Dyrenium to counteract edema from Lyrica, Pain Meds.

IC Diet: Very diet sensitive, esp. to spices.

Comment

I've been on Elmiron for 3 years....no weight gain from it.

Comment

No weight gain so far for me.
        IC diagnosis 3 weeks ago.
        Vesicare 10 mg once daily
        IBS and Gerd-Zegerid
        IC diet
        Elmiron 100 mg three daily
        Hydroxyzine 25 mg at night
        Amitriptyline 10mg at night
        Diovan 60/12.5 daily
        Topral 50 mg daily
        Zoloft 100 mg at night
        Klonopin .5 twice daily

Comment

When I was taking Elmiron I had stopped exercising because I read that it can make IC flare. This was a big mistake and I did gain weight, about 20lbs in one year. My doctor was a big help, she urged me to start walking, even if I couldn't do aerobics, so I did. She also urged me to stop making french bread and pasta- and get back to whole grains. I ditched my "comfort" food and am eating healthier than ever, I lost the 20lbs in less than a year. At first I did blame the elmiron and I think other women may do that, too, but in the end it was me. I was unhappy about my new bland diet, unhappy that I couldn't exercise and blamed the Elmiron. Now I walk three times per week for 30 minutes and eat from our new little garden, and feel great! It takes a bit for the Elmiron to build up and coat your bladder,but when it does you will feel lots better!

Comment

Working...
          X