Is Magnesium Oxide okay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Magnesium Oxide okay?

My husband just picked up Calcium, Vit D and Magnessium for me. But, I haven't seen magnesium oxide before. I have seen magnesium sterate. I do not want to be in severe pain if I take this. Does anyone know if this is safe to take?
    Teresa

We are not HUMAN BEINGS going through a temporary SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE. We are SPIRITUAL BEINGS going through a temporary HUMAN EXPERIENCE....so that we may become more SPIRITUAL.

I am only one person but I have been taking magnesium oxide and/or magnesium citrate for a few years now (for constipation that comes along with meds and other things). It doesn't bother me at all and I take 1200mg a day. The oxide isn't absorbed as fast as the citrate but should be fine. Start slow, like 1 pill the first day, too much magnesium can cause diarrhea (something it doesn't do to me though).
    Cindi

Gelnique for frequency/urgency - works great
    Macrobid after sex
    Prilosec, continuous birth control pills
    synthroid .088mg, mucinex-d, restasis

Supplements: Desert Harvest Aloe vera, Cysta-q, prelief, magnesium and calcium, Vit D, flaxseed oil

Diag Mild IC Jan 11 but have had symptoms for 25 years. Also have GERD, TMJ, IBS-C, chronic dry eye syndrome, hashimotos thyroiditis, non-allergic rhinitis.

IC Diet Link: http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf
    AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC overview- http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?p=571592
    AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC PDF: http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf
    Great treatment flowchart on page 19 of the pdf

Comment

Thanks Cindi, I appreciate your response. Are you very food sensitive? I had trouble with the citrate one. I am thinking that the this one may not hurt.
      Teresa

We are not HUMAN BEINGS going through a temporary SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE. We are SPIRITUAL BEINGS going through a temporary HUMAN EXPERIENCE....so that we may become more SPIRITUAL.

Comment

I guess I am somewhat food sensitive. I am trying to follow the diet that my UG gave me. Certain things I know for sure bother me like tomatoes, carbonated drinks, cocoa, regular black or green tea, others I don't know but I do know that my bladder hasn't been very happy for a couple of months now which I think started from antibiotics for a sinus infection. I am starting to wonder if the yogurt I eat every day for lunch along with walnuts or almonds could be a culprit, its so hard narrowing it down but I eat almost the same thing every day. There are so many things on the list I'm not eating so its got to be something perhaps that I eat everyday. I cut alcohol out a few days ago but not sure it has really made a difference. Anyways not many supplements have bothered me, though fiber supplements bother me alot and I tried fish oil which I noticed right away and turmeric which is supposed to be so good for you and cinnamon. I certainly hope the magnesium isn't one of them though I've been taking it for 2-3 years and don't always feel bad.
        Let me know if you react to it, hopefully not! Does calcium citrate bother you? Just to kind of test it I cut that out over the last couple of days too, and ester C. I am not sure how long you are supposed to cut something out to see if you feel better.
        Cindi

Macrobid after sex

Supplements: Desert Harvest Aloe vera, Cysta-q, prelief, magnesium and calcium, Vit D, flaxseed oil

Diag Mild IC Jan 11 but have had symptoms for 25 years. Also have GERD, TMJ, IBS-C, chronic dry eye syndrome, hashimotos thyroiditis, non-allergic rhinitis.

AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC overview- http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?p=571592
        AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC PDF: http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf

Comment

I went down to chicken and rice for awhile. Then I tried things. I tried buffered c and yep it hurt. Also, what I thought was a bladder friendly B complex - it hurt too. Fish oil and tumeric - they are really bad too. I can't eat any fruit. I was eating pears, but realized these were causing pain. I am thinking of trying a smaller amount soon and not a whole pair. It is just you want it soo bad after not having it. I am gluten and dairy intollerant as well. Which stinks because I loved bread before this IC thing and yogurt - it hurts me too. It seems like the things that are not great for my body or what I want to eat is what I must eat now. I was never a big meat eater and now I eat meat beef, chicken, turkey and fish. Rice is okay so I drink rice milk. Most supplements cause pain. I haven't tried coffee, but never really liked it so I don't miss that. I could never drink alcohol, but don't miss that because I never drank much at all. I can have potatoes, green beans and I have been trying lentils lately. I think they are okay. Beans in general don't usually go over well. I think I am going to try the calcium tomorrow. I am not up for lots of pain right now. I get so scared to try anything new. I really only eat 6 to 7 food items and I don't like them. Oh, the things I miss...

Calcium citrate does bother me. What medication where you given for your sinus infection?
          Teresa

Comment

That would be hard being gluten and dairy intollerant as well!
            I was given levaquin 500mg tablets for the sinus infection. It got rid of the sinus infection but the whole time I was taking it, it really bothered me and when I stopped I thought I'd feel better right away but I haven't. Yesterday was one of the best days I've had in a while and I skipped the yogurt, the calcium citrate and the buffered C, I also skipped the cystoprotec. I was taking the calcium really for the vit D in it. I get terrible foot cramps if I don't have enough vit D this time of year when I NEVER go outside. Its neg 8 here this morning! I bought some vit D to take in its place. I eat plenty of calcium.
            I had no pain until before bed after I drank a Davidsons vanilla tea that I thought was supposed to be safe and a package of cocoa almonds. I know the cocoa is a no no but I don't think they usually bother me....
            Here is my list of supplements I take every day maybe you can tell me if you've had problems with these since you are sensitive to supplements and maybe I am more sensitive then I thought.
            Magnesium oxide which we talked about and almost positive its ok.
            flax seed oil caps, about 5 a day for chronic dry eye syndrome, pretty sure those are ok too and I have to take it.
            Vit D
            aloe vera caps, prelief and cystoprotec
            synthroid, vesicare, bcp's and mucinex D - the vesicare is new and is really helping me. I didn't realize how tense I was (my bladder was) until this relaxed it some. I think its tense because I expect discomfort and tense up waiting for spasms.
            macrobid after sex
            One a day multivitamin - I don't "think" these bother me but I could cut it out for awhile and take a vit D in its place

Good luck taking your new supplements. What kind of calcium are you going to take? If I skip my multi then I probably should take at least one calcium supplement.

Also, do berries bother you? I find I can eat one small bowl of rasberries, blackberries or blueberries a day. You are so lucky you're not a coffee drinker. Its the one thing I can't give up yet but I have switched to a low acid brand I order on-line plus, I make it 2/3 caffeine free and I take prelief with it.
            Sorry for the really long post!
            Cindi

Macrobid after sex

Comment

Hi Cindi,
              I can't eat any fruit. I tried eating some blueberries the other day (very small ones) I counted out ten and put them in my rice cereal (with rice milk) that I have every single morning. My afternoon I was in pain. At least I knew what is was this time.

I think it is a good idea with supplements - like the food thing - to add one at a time. I would try something for three days straight and if it was ok I would add something else. Unforttunately, there is not much at all I can tolerate. I seriously only eat about 6 to 7 foods because these don't cause pain. My menu is: Rice cereal with rice milk and almonds. Lunch is always an organic meat (chicken, turkey, beef or fish) green beans, and rice or potatoes. Dinner is the same. I have rice crackers for a snack or almonds. I can have lettuce, zuchinni, and cucumbers, but I am tired of these to the point I smell them and think "yuck." The lettuce really stirs up my IBS. I am not ok with eggs, but I think I may be ok with egg whites. I have tried them in things now and they don't seem to bother me.

The supplements I can tolerate are: calcium carbonate and vitamin D. I could do cystoprotek for awhile until I started getting diarrhea. I can do marshmallow root tea, chamomile tea, and I think (not sure yet) peppermint tea. I did pretty well with the aloe vera, but after stopping it I had difficulty when I tried it again (I think because my bladder had gotten worse). I didn't do well at all with multi vitamins because of the vitamin C and vitamin B. I would think that would be one to hold back on for awhile, especially since you are taking others. The Cystoprotek is probably good for you, I would try that one first with the other one's you are sure about. I do think that is one thing that may have started to help, but the stomach/diarrhea thing got out of control. What is in your Vanilla Tea? Cocoa almonds would kill my bladder, but some people do fine with cocoa too, I guess. Oh, I can take flax seed oil as well, but (you guessed it) diarrhea. Are you taking IC safe Aloe Vera - there are a few on the market? One is advertised on this website.

My IC is pretty severe. You said you don't get out at all - I really don't either. My husband and I are originally from Illinois. We met in college there. My husband's brother lives in Round Lake near the Chicago area.

Hope this helps some. Sorry, I wrote a book too.
              Teresa

Comment

A couple of things the only way to know for sure if something is bothering you is to cut out everything that could possibly be the problem and then add items back in one at a time. For a long time I didn't think I was diet sensative because I cut most foods out, but not all and my bladder still bothered me all the time, it got worse if I ate something really bad for me such as a diet soda.

I finally had a ha moments when I realized even thought I have been eating this item everyday it is causing me problems.

I can now eat yogart in small amounts if it is greek nonfat, other yogarts bother me.

The last time I saw my uro he said and by the way there seems to be some research out there that potatoes can be a problem for some people sure enough for me they were.

Everyone is different don't give up on the diet, once you get it all figured out it can really help, it's just there is no half way with it.

MG
                My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, I will try and be more methodical about what I'm eating/drinking. I noticed yesterday I had pain for a couple of hours after I drank my low acid coffee in the morning and then a little bit last night after I drank a small latte though I took 3 prelief with it. Today I am going without coffee, guess I'll try that for a few days. I am keeping a log now to do the timed interval thing anyways.
                  I honestly don't think my multi is bothering me but I could cut it out for a few days too just to see.
                  That is too bad your IC is so bad, not having fruit would be tough. Thats amazing you can immediately notice everything so quickly. Maybe because you eat the same safe foods most of the time. I guess I need to do that, really look at what I eat and the list.

We have been in the Chicago area for about 7 years. We're not originally from here and I've never gotten used to the cold winters and being stuck inside, I resort to using a sunbox every winter which really helps with the winter blues. Its even too cold to walk my dog most of the time. Round Lake isn't too far from me.
                  Cindi

Macrobid after sex

Comment

Originally posted by Mothergoose View Post
                    A couple of things the only way to know for sure if something is bothering you is to cut out everything that could possibly be the problem and then add items back in one at a time.
                    I finally had a ha moments when I realized even thought I have been eating this item everyday it is causing me problems.

I can now eat yogart in small amounts if it is greek nonfat, other yogarts bother me.

MG
                    I REALLY miss my yogurt and its only been 3 days! Its a staple in my diet which is fairly low carb, no potatoes for me! I eat about 100gm a day so its not super low. Bread is safe though so I ate a bit more yesterday in place of some other things.
                    I've also been eating alot of black beans and vegetarian refried beans. They looked like they were on the ok list....
                    Cindi

Macrobid after sex

Comment

Originally posted by Snowden1 View Post
                      Hi Cindi,
                      What is in your Vanilla Tea? Are you taking IC safe Aloe Vera - there are a few on the market? One is advertised on this website.
                      My vanilla tea is organic dried honey, organic chamomile, organic carob, natural flavor and organic rooibos.
                      I drink chamomile combined with peppermint tea all the time and it they do not bother me at all.
                      Today I had the Roastaroma instead of the coffee it is: roasted barley, roasted chicory, roasted carob, cinnamon, allspice and chinese star anise. We'll see if it bothers me, if it does its probably from the cinnamon.

The aloe vera I take is the Desert Harvest one shown on this web site.

Good luck with your new supplements.
                      Cindi

Macrobid after sex

Comment

Hi Cindi,

Yes, I think MG is right about cutting it all out and starting over. I didn't think the diet was causing pain until I did this and wow, I did find out that Vit C and B were horrible for me - I reacted within an hour. Some things take about 4 to 6 hours for me, but cream cheese took a lot longer. I thought I was okay and I may have been with a small amount at a time. But, as soon as I started eating it everyday, I couldn't figure out what was going on. Then I didn't have it for awhile and realized that was it. I just wonder if many people who don't think they are diet sensitive really know because they have not eliminated everything and started from the bottom up. I know a couple people who said that Vit C and/or orange juice didn't change their symptoms. I am doubled over in horrible pain if I try those, so if it doesn't change the pain levels maybe those people are not diet sensitive. Just my weird theory.

I can't have barley, (gluten) but, I might be able to have the vanilla tea you drink. Could you PM me to let me know where you get it and what the name of it is? Does carob have barley? Do you know if it is gluten free. I was reading about celiac disease today and the article said more people are getting it and that it is an autoimmune response in your intestines. I NEVER had a problem with gluten or dairy until almost a year after getting IC. I think for me there are many autoimmune issues going on now. I don't understand how I coud be pretty healthy to this. Rrrr... I am seriously depressed about what I have to eat, etc. I just don't feel like me anymore. I thought I could figure this out and someday get back to work - or at least function well daily. I just seem to be getting worse. I hear of people who have had this for years and their symptoms have stayed the same. I don't understand why mine have just kept getting worse and worse so quickly.

I wouldn't stop the IC Aloe Vera. I would keep taking that and the Cystoprotek unless you are still having symptoms then I would drop one at at time and add them back slowly.

Yes, I want to get one of those lights for depression too. For the last several years we have been in climates where it was snowing and cold most of the year. How is your light working for you?
                        Teresa

Comment

I think because I bought it on this web site I can say its Davidsons French Vanilla Tea with Honey. Its quite good and I do get sick of only drinking the peppermint and chamomile mixture. I like peppermint tea but I need a variety.
                          Yes carob is gluten free, it comes from ground seeds or pods from a carob tree. I did read sometimes carob powder has wheat flour in it and does not have to be listed as an ingredient because it is considered GRAS.
                          I have had a terrible headache the last 24 hours I think from going caffeine free, hope it goes away soon.
                          So I'll take your advice and MG's and cut way back on the supplements. I'll keep the vit D, magnesium, potassium (I forgot to mention I've been taking potassium...if you have any thoughts), flax, aloe vera and cistoprotek. Maybe I should pick up some calcium carbonate too.

The sunbox has worked GREAT for me. This is my second winter using it. My husband thought I had SAD when we lived in Seattle for years and in the winter in Chicago. Spring would come and it was like I would wake up and was so energetic and just felt more like "me". Before I tried the sunbox I would not really act depressed or down as much as I got real negative which I guess is how feeling down comes out in me. I would feel like I just couldn't make it to spring. Since using the sunbox I don't feel that desperation or negativity, winter is just like the rest of the year except I can't walk outside!

I am sorry for your restricted diet and ongoing pain. I don't know your story but have you tried the instillations? I only ask because my UG says they help about 90% of his patients to the point where they are "cured" for long periods of time. He doesn't really think any of the other therapies work well enough (oral medicines like anti-depressants, antihistamines, elmiron etc). He just says he doesn't see alot of success with anything but the instillations.
                          Cindi

Macrobid after sex

Comment

The only comment I have about potassium is that it's essential to maintain health. Did a blood test determine you have a deficiency in it? If not, it shouldn't be necessary to take the supplement if you are on a balanced diet. There are many foods rich in potassium --- potatoes are my favorite.

Donna
                            Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                            Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                            Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                            [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

You may want to consult a nutritionist, or a holistic type nutritionist, who will surely start you from scratch with foods you can tolerate and start adding back one thing at a time. Why not potatoes? Yes there are carbs, but they are nutritious. We are on low carb as well, but a potato once or twice a week is not going to throw that off too much. You really might want to speak with a professional, we saw one a few months back, she charged us $60 for an hour consultation, with a pre-telephone consultation and a follow up tele-consult. Not a bad deal, and she was helpful. She was kinda holistic but not overly so. You have to find one who knows what IC is and all of your allergies/problems before you see one so they have all their ducks in a row when you have your face to face. Sometimes putting it on paper or in an e-mail before your appt really helps. Wish you luck in your diet pursuits, you guys have a lot of problems to deal with and sometimes doing it by yourself is difficult and frustrating, and sometimes trying "new" stuff can do more harm than good. Be careful, and take care. Jill, wife of Bb

Comment

Working...
                              X