Zen 200 mg caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zen 200 mg caps

I just got back from my uro and it was suggested that I might try a suppliment called Zen 200 mg caps.

It works like Amitryptaline apparently, however without the sedation.

I guess it is newly recommended for IC patients.

Has anyone else heard of it or tried it?
    Last edited by Tink22; 03-31-2011, 02:09 PM.
    Live Well
    Love Much
    Laugh Often!

Diagnosed:
    Dec 2005
    Diagnosis:
    IC
    Cysto/Hydro:
    Dec 2005
    Other Conditions:
    Anxiety, Insomnia, Chronic Sinusitis, Bursitis of the hip, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, PFD, Inflamitory Arthritis of the neck, Allergy to Yeast and Dairy
    Meds for IC:
    Prosed/DS as needed which works much better for me than Pyridium, Prelief, Coffee Tamer, Claritin 5mgs and sodium bicarb as needed.
    Alternative Treatments
    Physical therapy for 8 weeks, Acupuncture (just started).
    Other Meds:
    Skelaxin (as needed)
    Didn't work:
    Detrol LA (didn't help symptoms), Pyridium 200mg isn't working very well anymore.
    Tried:
    Elmiron (Major Dizziness), Hydrodistention (Greatly exacerbated IC symptoms), Urised (hard time breathing), Ditropan (bladder pain the next day), Rescue Instillations - Lidocane, sodium bicarb (all over body rash with itching),

I haven't heard about this, going to do some research on this one. I am sure that it is like any other supplement and we should make sure our Dr's know if we choose to try this. Obviously yours does already, just a reminder for anyone else.

Sandra
    Link to the patient information, everything from What is IC? to Disability
    http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

American Urological Association Clinical Guideline
    Diagnosis and Treatment of Intersitial Cysitis/Painful Bladder Syndrom
    http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf

Comment

For that Buddha-like feeling! 200 mg of Zen offers a unique and natural way to promote relaxation, without sedation.

This new formula contains a combination of L-theanine and GABA. L-theanine,found in green tea, has been shown to stimulate the body production of alpha wave activity in the brain. Alpha waves are involved in reducing anxiety while increasing mental alertness and acuity. GABA is a major inhibitory neurotransmitter that is critical for normal brain function.

Suggested use:
      As a dietary supplement, 1 to 2 capsules daily, between meals or as directed by a healthcare practitioner.
      WARNING: Contraindicated with drugs or use only under the supervision of a healthcare practitioner

This is what I found about them. This really doesn't' help me any in understanding them. Are you going to try them? Does your uro typically recommend natural supplements? I am curious to know if they work. My only problem with these type of things is that there is no way of knowing if the potency is consistent. Tends to make me nervous, but lately I have been thinking of talking to my Dr about trying some different supplements.
      Sandra
      Link to the patient information, everything from What is IC? to Disability
      http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

American Urological Association Clinical Guideline
      Diagnosis and Treatment of Intersitial Cysitis/Painful Bladder Syndrom
      http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf

Comment

I hadn't heard of it either until today, but it does sound interesting.

I looked it up on the internet, however could find nothing on the effects of IC which is a bummer, and it did say that it could interact with medication that works in the same way, so to be careful. So since I am taking a tricyclic I would have to be careful and see how it goes if I was to take it.
        Live Well
        Love Much
        Laugh Often!

Diagnosed:
        Dec 2005
        Diagnosis:
        IC
        Cysto/Hydro:
        Dec 2005
        Other Conditions:
        Anxiety, Insomnia, Chronic Sinusitis, Bursitis of the hip, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, PFD, Inflamitory Arthritis of the neck, Allergy to Yeast and Dairy
        Meds for IC:
        Prosed/DS as needed which works much better for me than Pyridium, Prelief, Coffee Tamer, Claritin 5mgs and sodium bicarb as needed.
        Alternative Treatments
        Other Meds:
        Skelaxin (as needed)
        Didn't work:
        Detrol LA (didn't help symptoms), Pyridium 200mg isn't working very well anymore.
        Tried:
        Elmiron (Major Dizziness), Hydrodistention (Greatly exacerbated IC symptoms), Urised (hard time breathing), Ditropan (bladder pain the next day), Rescue Instillations - Lidocane, sodium bicarb (all over body rash with itching),

Comment

I know, the information on it didn't really help me much either in regards to IC....

My uro does tend to want to perscribe natural suppliments, as she works with a natural path at her office that specializes in IC, as well as the acupuncturist who also specializes in IC.

I am certainly considering it, but haven't decided if I am going to try it or not lol. I get so leary about trying medications that mess with brain chemistry as I tend to not fair well with them.
          Live Well
          Love Much
          Laugh Often!

Diagnosed:
          Dec 2005
          Diagnosis:
          IC
          Cysto/Hydro:
          Dec 2005
          Other Conditions:
          Meds for IC:
          Alternative Treatments
          Other Meds:
          Skelaxin (as needed)
          Didn't work:
          Tried:

Comment

Re: Zen 200 mg caps

Old thread but I just tried L-Theanine and my bladder LOVES it. If you have urgency and high-strung pelvic muscles like mine this might be a good thing to try. Gives a tiny bit of focus/memory boost as well--an extremely refreshing change from the major cognitive fogginess and fatigue anticholinergics create.
            Diagnosed with IC in 2005, PFD in 2016. My sister has had IC for 21 years and our mother over 30. 66 years of bladder fun combined!

Comment

Working...
            X