physical therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• physical therapy

I am making an appointment with physical therapy. Dont know exactly what to expect. Has anyone tried this and does it help anything.
    Interstitial Cystitis Stomach problems
    diastolic dysfunction
    vascular insufficency of left leg
    pelvid floor disorder
    hypothroidisim
    asthma
    bread cancer - 5yrsl. remission
    swollowing difficulty
    fatigue
    lots of doctors
    lots of med.

Keep your eyes on the Lord and he will direct your paths.

I went through physical therapy a couple of years ago. I did find it to be helpful with strengthening the pelvic floor whicn in turn helped my frequency. Its amazing how many muscles can contribute to bladder issues; and with IC, patients tend to suffer with some degree of pelvic floor dysfunction.
    My experience-the first visit included alot of Q&A of my medical history, a simple pelvic exam, mild vaginal massage and upper leg massage. My only warning is be prepared to experience soreness before you start seeing results. I wish someonw would have warned me beforehandn; I was sore for days after my first couple of visits.

Good luck to you.

diana
    (\__/)
    (o.O )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

Comment

Do I need to take someone with me or is it just muscle type soreness?
      diastolic dysfunction
      pelvid floor disorder
      hypothroidisim
      asthma
      swollowing difficulty
      fatigue
      lots of doctors
      lots of med.

Comment

The pain or soreness, I think, probably depends on the severity of your PFD and maybe the level of expertise of your therapist. It shouldn't be a type of pain where you can't drive yourself home. My therapist usually does heat packs on my back and lower abdomen the entire time, then she does internal massage (she puts her finger into my vagina and massages the pelvic muscles from inside). I also often do IF stim (similar to a TENS unit). Sometimes we do biofeedback, which is where you are attached to either internal probe or external leads and you contract and relax your pelvic muscles on command and it's recorded how well your muscles are responding to what you are trying to do.

I agree with the others, it's usually worse before it gets better. I think that also depends on your level of PFD severity. I have been going to PT since last June and my muscles are still so locked up that an index finger will barely fit into my vagina. And, like IC in general, some days are better than others!

Good luck!!

~Claudia

"A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others."
        ~ The Wizard of Oz

"If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own
        back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with!" ~ Dorothy

Comment

Thank you for your reply. That helps me to do a little if what could go on.
          diastolic dysfunction
          pelvid floor disorder
          hypothroidisim
          asthma
          swollowing difficulty
          fatigue
          lots of doctors
          lots of med.

Comment

BR---for me it was just muscle soreness from the intense massaging that she did. You should have no problems going to your PT appts alone. Sorry if my post gave the impression that PT soreness was intolerable, its not.

Hopefully you see improvement with your PT!
            Takc care, dear
            diana
            (\__/)
            (o.O )
            (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

Comment

A great resource for information on what to expect from Pelvic Floor Dysfunction physical therapy and other related bladder therapies is www.roadtoslainte.blogspot.com. The blogspot is written by an excellent physical therapist that specializes in women's health (PFD, Trigger Points, Pelvic Pain, etc.). Don't forget to check out some of the archived articles.
              Some of my favorite articles are:

1. Pelvic Floor Therapy
              2. Dear Diary
              3. Trigger Trauma
              4. To Kegel or Not to Kegel
              5. The Elephant in the Refrigerator
              6. Sex, Lies, and Dyspar . . . Who?
              7. That's so . . . . . Stimulating
              8. Let's Go! Really Go!
              9. Language Barrier
              10. PNE Paradox
              11. nICE & HOT
              12. Bladder Boot Camp

I suggest that you consult with your healthcare provider if you believe that the information above may be helpful; your healthcare provider will determine the appropriate treatment regimen for you.

Only your healthcare provider can determine if the above suggestions are appropriate treatment options for you; these are just some suggestions that you can discuss with him/her.

The contents in this post are provided for informational purposes only. The contents are not intended in any way to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding your medical condition.

Best wishes, ICB

Comment

Pt

Good Luck. I would like to know were you are doing this. I live in Riverside County.
                Blessings,
                Ruth

Comment

I have also had great success with physical therapy. I've only had 3 sessions so far and my resting muscle tone is down from 6.4 to 3.7! I was skeptical at first, but you can't argue with those kind of results
                  I'm also feeling better, having less spasms, and less pressure on my bladder.
                  Diagnosed with IC: October 2006

Related diagnoses: PFD, chronic back pain, vulvodynia, IBS, anxiety.

Treatment:
                  Lots of water
                  Fiber, when I can remember...
                  Elmiron (I'm down to 200mg per day)
                  Kegels (10 sets of 10 second holds per day)
                  Yoga and Pilates, each weekly
                  Exercise 3x weekly

Have tried:
                  PT for PFD and chronic back pain (VERY helpful)
                  IC diet (I'm not diet-sensitive while on Elmiron)

Comment

Pt

That is great that it worked for you. I am glad. Let us know how it goes.
                    Blessings,
                    Ruth

Comment

I tried PT and in some ways it helped, but it seems my muscles just snap back into the tight position after the session. That, in addition to the disruption in my work schedule required for twice-weekly sessions, made me stop. However, I have learned some exercises to do at home to help my pelvic floor, including stretches. These can help if I do them gently during a flare.
                      Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
                      *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
                      *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
                      *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

I started this 6 weeks ago and have had immense luck with it. There are a variety of things the therapist might have you do depending upon your symptoms, so she will probably start by evaluating your pelvic floor with a vaginal exam in order to determine where to start. You may also have to fill out a large packet of info explaining your problems and symptoms (anything from frequency, leakage, painful sex, etc...). My biggest problem was extremely painful intercourse.

Once she has determined your trouble areas, she will begin to devise a plan for your treatment. My treatment began with homework, as in doing kegels daily. Certain kinds in certains ways...even doing combo kegel squats and ab work! If you are assigned this task, always do your homework! It helps if you pick a fixed time (like the morning/afternoon drive, shower, during your t.v. hour) so you don't forget your little workouts.

There may also be, again, depending on your symptoms, combinations of bio feedback, electrode stimulation, massage, or use of dilators. I have all of that done once a week. The massage is very uncomfortable, as it is done internally and massages muscles that don't care to be touched due pain. I'm usually sore for a day or two afterwards. The electrode stimulation is not at all bad, and having one done with a dilator (an object inserted into the vagina to help your muscles stretch and relax) in is unpleasant but helpful. There are different sizes to help you work your way up to accommodating more. Biofeedback is pain-free, and will measure your resting muscle tone and your tone when you do kegels or flex certain muscles. It will also help teach you how to do a kegel properly, which is harder than it seems.

Personally, I have responded very well to the therapy, and my husband and I have gone from not having sex at all to doing it twice a week. I still have pain during initial penetration and some pain afterwards, but it is not nearly as bad as it was, and I am very thankful. Your doctor will discuss the best options for you and while it may be uncomfortable at times, should not give you more to do than you can handle.
                        -Laura

Diagnosed with IC October 2005

Comment

Doctor's referral

Do you need a doctor's referral in order to make an appointment
                          for physical therapy? Will insurance cover any of the cost of
                          therapy?

Comment

Typically you do need to be referred, and especially for PFD therapy, you need to make sure that you are working with a therapist that is familiar with PFD and the therapies associated with it. So, you want to work with your doc anyway to find the right person.

As for insurance, I guess it depends on your plan. I have BCBS and they cover 50 visits a year with a $20 copay. There should be a number on your card that you can call to find out about benefits.

~Claudia

"A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others."
                            ~ The Wizard of Oz

"If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own
                            back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with!" ~ Dorothy

Comment

Pt

wow it sounds great. I am glad that you have found something that has worked for you.
                              Blessings,
                              Ruth

Comment

Working...
                              X