Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what have you done for physical therapy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what have you done for physical therapy?

I was thinking maybe of trying this one more time instead of taking the bladder out. Was wondering what you all have done while at PT? Compare it to what I had done. Back massage, bike ride 10 min. treadmill 10 min. biofeed back and the stomach massage from a machine. Anymore then that? How long did you go for too? Did they say it was a one time shot or for life help?

I do internal massage with my therapist, trigger point release internal and external, 2x a day psoas muscle stretches and 1x a day abdominal exercises (tons!) I recently added 30min treadmill and pilates/yoga too. I go in once a week for trigger point release.

I've only been in physical therapy 3 - 4 weeks.

You didn't do any of this?? Do you have PFD or just bladder problems?

Comment

I do once a week PT for 40 mins.
      All we do is biofeedback with kegels and then e-stim.
      Also, I make sure to drink 60 oz water per day, take fiber, walk for 20 min a day, stretch and relax muscles for 10 min, meditate most days for 10 min, estrace cream at night, and 5 min of kegels per day at home.
      Diagnosed with IC: October 2006

Related diagnoses: PFD, chronic back pain, vulvodynia, IBS, anxiety.

Treatment:
      Lots of water
      Fiber, when I can remember...
      Elmiron (I'm down to 200mg per day)
      Kegels (10 sets of 10 second holds per day)
      Yoga and Pilates, each weekly
      Exercise 3x weekly

Have tried:
      PT for PFD and chronic back pain (VERY helpful)
      IC diet (I'm not diet-sensitive while on Elmiron)

Comment

No one said if I have PFD. How do you know? I have no problem relaxing my muscles when I need to. What is an e-stim? Do you have pain as well? How can you do all that exercising and still be able to walk? I do have an appointment to go to another one next tuesday but I'm wondering what she will say. Also, how long did they say it will take until you have to leave?

Comment

"No one said if I have PFD. How do you know? I have no problem relaxing my muscles when I need to. What is an e-stim? Do you have pain as well? How can you do all that exercising and still be able to walk? I do have an appointment to go to another one next tuesday but I'm wondering what she will say. Also, how long did they say it will take until you have to leave?"

waterflow-
          You can be diagnosed with PFD by a Gynecologist or Physical Therapist with a specialty in PFD. E-stim is a mechanism that contracts the pelvic muscles. It doesn't hurt.
          I do have PF related pain but the PT is making it less and less severe each week.
          And as far as the exercise goes, it's really not that much exercise. 20 minutes a day is a relatively modest amount, and all people should take care of their bodies. None of the exercises are physically exhausting. The walking, stretching, and kegels are all VERY low impact and are meant to be relaxing, so don't worry about that.
          And your last question- I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean how long do the appointments last, its 40 minutes per visit. If you mean how long until you can discontinue the PT, that depends on each person. Some people only require the initial 8 weeks, though most people take longer. I think I will need to continue past my 8 week prescription, visit #7 is tomorrow.

Good luck!
          Diagnosed with IC: October 2006

Related diagnoses: PFD, chronic back pain, vulvodynia, IBS, anxiety.

Treatment:
          Lots of water
          Fiber, when I can remember...
          Elmiron (I'm down to 200mg per day)
          Kegels (10 sets of 10 second holds per day)
          Yoga and Pilates, each weekly
          Exercise 3x weekly

Have tried:
          PT for PFD and chronic back pain (VERY helpful)
          IC diet (I'm not diet-sensitive while on Elmiron)

Comment

I have pfd. I was having alot of pelvic floor pian. I do 30 min. a week with my PT and then lots of abdominal stregthening exercise at home. We do exercises at her office also were she can press on the muscle were I havd adhesions from past surgeries. She does a vagingal message and that seems to be helping with the inside muscles that I don't know if I could get to. She started on bladder retrainging yeseterday. I am only aloud to pee every 70 minl. Will start today and see how that goes. I don't go back for almost 2 weeks due to availablility time. Then on the 16th will be having a bladder stretch done. She wants to continue to see me after that. I have my inter stim off for 3 days now. I am running my own experiment to see if it is what makes my pfd worse. If I can come up an answer that will determin as to whether or not we will remove it then.
            Interstitial Cystitis Stomach problems
            diastolic dysfunction
            vascular insufficency of left leg
            pelvid floor disorder
            hypothroidisim
            asthma
            bread cancer - 5yrsl. remission
            swollowing difficulty
            fatigue
            lots of doctors
            lots of med.

Keep your eyes on the Lord and he will direct your paths.

Comment

Working...
            X