Has PT worked for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has PT worked for you?

I have been living with IC for many years and have finally found a uro/gyn who specializes in IC and PFD. My major symptons are frequency, urgency and pain. Over the last 6 months or so I have had a feeling of something being swollen inside me and feels like everything is going to drop out. With out being too graphic, it's very uncomfortable to sit because it feels like I'm sitting on a ball all the time. I have discussed this with my new uro\gyn and she has suggested PT to work on the muscles.

My first PT session was mostly a history and the therapist used the biofeedback machine to see where my muscles were at. She discussed myofacial release as another form of therapy.

I would love to hear if anyone else has experienced this and if the PT has been helpful for you.

The feeling is driving me crazy and I would like to know if there's and end in sight!
    Dianne

IC 9/2005
    PFD 4/07

Current Meds:
    Desipramine 10mg at night
    Desert Harvest Aloe Vera
    Prelief as needed
    Also PFD therapy

I've had pelvic floor physical therapy & so has my mom,who also has IC. We both benefitted from it & in fact, I just got a referral so that I can do a full 8 week course this summer. Mostly I do external exercises & stretches. It helps a lot, has helped with the sensation of needing to void, the difficulty starting to void, relieved constipation (a bonus I hadn't expected) & made it more possible to exercise.

Definitely check it out!
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

I have also found PT very helpful, especially with the combination of seeing the PT weekly and doing a home excercise program.

Comment

Some of the symptoms you described sound like what happens with a prolapsed uterus. That's when the muscles that support the uterus aren't strong enough to keep it in place, and it starts to drop. There are different stages/severities. In mild cases, the uterus drops only slightly, in more moderate it drops into the vaginal canal, and in severe cases it actually drops outside of the vagina. Women with this condition often describe the sensation of feeling like they are sitting on a ball, and/or a drawing sensation. I would think that a gyn would pick up on that though, so maybe that's not what's going on for you? You might want to do a bit of reading about it, and talk to your gyn as well. There are treatments for it, including exercises to strengthen the muscles.

Comment

I went through PT last spring and am back in again for the myofacial trigger point release. I am REALLY benefiting alot with the new therapy. I hope you have good response!
          Wendi
          IC symptoms began in 1975; diagnosed in March 2006.
          Other conditions: PFD, Migraine, VV, Total Abd Hysterectormy on 12/27,06 for Cervical Cancer, Fibromyalgia.
          Current Daily Meds: Roxicet, Methadone, Flexoril, Flomax
          I use Prayer, Yoga, Relaxation Breathing and TENS to help relieve stress, anxiety and pain- LOTS of make up to hide my true identity!

myspace page:www.myspace.com/armslee

Comment

physical therapy helped me tremendously. myofascial and trigger point release as well as bladder retraining was particularly helpful. if you can (i see you aren't too far) try to get at least an assessment with Rhonda Kotarinos, PT, in Oakbrook Terrace, IL. Her style is quite different than most PTs (i've seen three total) but really helped me get past the chronic pain and PFD stuff. good luck.

Comment

I hate to be the negative post, but PT actually made my PFD WORSE. I had some urethral burning and weakness symptomology, and after the trigger point work my right hip and back started significantly hurting. That was eight months ago, and they can't figure out what to do next. My hip has been flared so long, that now my leg aches and I can't walk for long periods of time. All treatments work SO differently on each one of us.
              I wish you well.
              Stephanie

Comment

PT helped strengthen my pelvic floor muscles which in turn helped with voiding.
                Like mentioned, I agree that your symptoms sound like you're dealing with some sort of prolapse. Your description of feeling like something is falling out, and feeling as if you're sitting on a ball are classic symptoms. If you havent already, I would suggest being examined by either your GYN or UROGYN while standing as gravity will allow the prolapse to be felt.
                PT can help with mild prolapse by strengthening the vaginal muscles that hold up the uterus, bladder, rectum and urethra.

Feel better soon!
                Diana
                (\__/)
                (o.O )
                (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

Comment

Working...
                X