Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Relaxation method v. Kegels for PFD therapy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relaxation method v. Kegels for PFD therapy?

One method is total relaxation which involves massaging the vaginal and abdominal areas and, sometimes, using injections to calm the tissue down.

The other philosophy is to use the Kegel method which means squeezing/tensing muscles (for example, the anal muscles) and then quickly releasing same in order to maintain flexibility - then rapidly repeating the exercise.

What are your experiences with each method?

I've been doing the Kegel's and 'am doing well...so far... but wonder what the other method has to offer.

I have done both. When we lived in Jackson, TN I went to a pt who said that my pelvic floor was staying half way contracted all of the time--ouch. She had me doing kegals. I learned a lot from her and it helped some, but not as much as my second therapist when we moved to Memphis. She did more of the myofacial release and worked on getting trigger points to release. That did wonders for me. I need to go back and let her work on me some more. When I was going to her, I came the nearest to being out of pain in I don't know how long. Unfortunately, I have had a bad flare and stress so I need to go back again. Hope this helps answer some of your question. I know everyone is different so you may have to experiment to see what works best for you.

Janice

Comment

I have vaginal spasms that seem to need the relaxtion method rather than kegels. It's like I'm doing kegels all the time, involuntarily, so I try to focus on relaxing the muscles and bearing down to get out of the spasm, rather than contracting, and that seems to help.
      I have not had any PT but this has helped me. Once I realized that I was contracting/spasming all the time, I told my gyn and he rxd a low dose of valium, 2mg, 3 x day, and it was like a miracle, and helped my VV symtptoms immensely.

Comment

Kegels flared me horribly (set off more bladder spasms), so my PT & I discontinued them from my program.
        Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
        I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
        Source - Pinterest
        "

Current treatments:
        -IC diet
        -Elavil 50mg at night
        -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
        -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
        -Pyridium if needed,
        -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
        -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
        -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
        -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
        -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
        -Managing stress= VERY important!
        -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Thanks for the input. I've been doing the Kegels for about 3 weeks and don't see much improvement but I've learned a lot from the therapist. What she says sounds good about keeping those muscles flexible rather than have them become too relaxed &, therefore, "saggy" but I don't know. The jury is still out.

Comment

PFD and kegals

Hio,

Doing kegals for PFD made me worse.

Kathy

Comment

I went to PT last week and she only did a message around the pelvic area and checked my pelvic floor internally. She also gave me stretching excerises to do at home daily. I went into a huge flare after that. I am not sure if it was the excerises or the one macrodantin antibitoic I took , but not only did my bladder flare up, but my motility and digestive tract went nuts. I got backed up( real constipated) nothing was moving. I have had severe bloat and pain in the abdomin. I have since went on miralax every day just to get thigs moving again.
              I talked to my PT and she said she would change some things. We are going to need to go slower and try different things. Also, no internal PT for a while for me. I cant risk getting a UTI because I cannot take antibitoics, as they always make my motility soooo much worse and shut it down. I will give it a try, but if I keep feeling worse each time, then I would say this is not for me.
              Jen

Comment

keagles flaired me too.
                'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

Kegels flared me as well. I can't even do then right. You are supposed to contract for 10 seconds or so and release. I contract for 1/2 a secodn and release. It is crazy. I stopped kegels and now I was supposed to do them using an intravginal device for biofeedback which my current PT recomended but since I have constant vaginal infection and irritation in that area my gyno didn't recomend that (which makes sense..for my case). My Gyno put m eon Valium for 10 days...will see.

To relax the Pelvic floor I do Guided Imagery (I have 2 different types of CDs), and Kundalini Yoga for stress reduction, inner balance and healing. It is awesome.
                  Laser cervical surgery after abnormal pap (moderate dysplasia) in 3/2004
                  UTIs since mid 2004
                  Recurrent yeast infections since mid 2005
                  IC dx 3/2006
                  V V dx 12/2006
                  Other conditions: IBS, allergies, dry eyes.

Current IC medications:
                  Elavil (since 12/06) 10 mg;
                  Cysta Q (since 5/07)
                  Rephresh acid jel every 3 days
                  D-mannose, fish oil, Calcium Citrate, Multivitamins & garlic pills (sometimes)
                  Probiotics Femdophilus or other brands
                  Gy-Na-Tren for yeast infections (started using it as needed since 2010)
                  Other Rx:Omeprazole 20mg; benadryl as needed, Restasis

Past Meds and why I stopped them:
                  Elmiron: March to September 2006: headaches
                  Lyrica:2 weeks in 2006: headaches
                  Cystoprotek: from Jan to April 2007: nausea

Femcon Fe (2/07 to 10/07):caused spotting/bleeding
                  BCP:Loestrin (since Ocotber 2007) to stop spotting for 2 months. V V worse. Stopped the pill in Nov 07.

"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it"

Comment

To Kegal or not to Kegal?

Totally depends on the type of PFD you have currently;if Kegals are good or irritating to you. This can also change over time as your pelvic floor muscles recover.
                    Currently, I am not doing Kegals as they caused me a huge pelvic floor freeze contraction, and I was "flexing". So muscles have a mind of their own and Kegals are an individual thing.
                    Sammi

Sammi

Meds: Melatonin 3mg @ bedtime if needed. Estrogen 1.5 mg troche and 0.1 mg Estrace cream.
                    Diagnosis: IC, PFD (both in remission)

Comment

Working...
                    X