Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I expect PT for PFD to bring on more pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I expect PT for PFD to bring on more pain?

Need advice. Went to my uro and she examined me for PFD which i think is her cure all for ic because the 3 times I have gone to her that is what she wants to do. Anyway, upon examination there was one spot she pushed on on my left side that caused pain so she is sending me to PT. She said to expect that I will be in more pain at first. Of course that scares me. Can anyone give me their experience or advice on this? Thanks

Linda

My experience is that 90% of what my physical therapist & I do is helpful & reduces my pain. We have tried some things (kegels & internal work), when those caused problems we discontinued them. Kegels made my bladder spasms worse & increased my frequency, so I won't do them. The internal exam gave me a bladder infection & I refused any more work internally. Fortunately, my physical therapist listens well & adapts what we do to what works well for me, as opposed to a one-size-fits-all approach.

I also asked her to focus on what I can do for myself, not to be dependent on her, so we created an exercise program. I've really liked working with her & am planning on 8 weeks of sessions this summer twice a week.
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

I fought going to Pt forever. I had some vague fear that I would be in the middle of a room surrounded by machines and people staring at me. I actually went to my first PT to appease my urologist (Dr. Wyigul). Best thing I ever did. My first PT was good, but the one that I am going to now in Memphis is WONDERFUl! She helps me so much and has taught me exercises and trigger point release to do myself. By the way--the rooms were very private and relaxing. And....pelvic floor does seem to be what causes a lot of my pain. It can't hurt to give it a try. I would request a PT that is definitely experienced with treating IC patients and pelvic floor dysfunction.
      Hope you feel better.

Janice

Comment

There are alot of people who really benefit from PT, especially if your pain in caused by PFD. If your pain is more in your bladder, then the PT may not benefit you as much.
        I started going to PT about three weeks ago. I had a bad first appointment, as I had alot of pain that first week. I went to my appointment again this past Monday and it was alot better because I told her I did not want to do any internal work for now and also that she go very slow. She seems very willing to work with me at my pace, so that is good. I will give it a few more weeks and see how it goes. If I do not see any results within the next few weeks, then I may reconsider.
        Jen

Comment

PT is wonderful!

I started PT yesterday and it was a totally positive experience! I was there for over an hour and the therapist was gentle and kind. She asked a lot of questions, really listened to me and gave me a mirror to hold so I could see what she was doing touching me in different places looking for trigger points. My main problem is vaginal burning. It feels like a tampon is falling out of me and my muscles want to relax and let it fall out but they can't. After the exam she said my muscles are too tight all the time. When I tried to do a kegel, not much happened because I'm constantly in the tightened state and have to learn to relax my muscles. I go back on Friday for biofeedback. My pain isn't worse today but she said it might be. She said to put heat in the area for 5 mins, cold for 10 mins, then heat again for 5 mins if the pain was worse. My uro said I should try accupuncture but my gyn said PT would help me more. It's too early to say but for my symptoms and type of pain I think PT is going to help me. Good luck!
          3/06 IC symptoms began immediately after endometrial ablation procedure called NovaSure
          5/07 IC diagnosed by cystoscopy with hydrodistention finally after 14 months of doctor's appointments and pain

Medications: Elmiron since 8/07, Atarax, Synthroid & Cytomel for low thyroid, Lisinopril for high blood pressure, Xanax for anxiety as needed, Vitamin D 50,000 units once a week

Supplements: MSM/glucosamine, Quercetin, Desert Harvest Aloe Vera, Flora Biotic 16, Magnesium, Citracal, B-complex

What's worked: IC diet, physical therapy for pelvic floor dysfunction, TENS, rescue instillations and acupuncture

Comment

PT has been lifesaver!

I think that PT has been the primary factor in getting my IC under control. I had really bad anxiety about going the first few times. But it helps SO MUCH! My pain level has drastically improved and I've also increased bladder control which decreased pain and frequency. I would highly recommend PT.

And I don't remember getting worse before I got better. I did have Fibro and Fatigue flares, but not IC. There was a point with the Fibro and Fatigue I thought I wasn't going to get through... but I pushed myself and it has been so worth it.
            Sarah
            The avid San Antonio Spurs fan...

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent - Eleanor Roosevelt

But if I must afflicted be,
            To suit some wise design;
            Then, man my soul with firm resolves
            To bear and not repine!
            Robert Burns

Comment

Working...
            X