Just starting PT (long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just starting PT (long)

First off, I'm sorry this is long-this is the only place I feel totally comfortable talking about this stuff, plus I am long winded anyway, so I tend to go on...

I have just started PT for PFD and IC-related issues. My Uro believes it is a good idea to try all options, and I am glad because I am so sick of pills, that I am willing to try other avenues! At first I was a bit hesitant, even about having PFD...I am not incontinent, and most of my pain is in my bladder area, plus frequency and urgency. But during his internal exam he found a few tender areas. I also have fibro, and in a way the feeling was similar, except internal.....the same way a normal pressure touch make you jump up off the table. I also have RA, and have had loads of problems with my left hip area....pain originating in the groin around the actual joint, and radiating down the leg. In addition, before my hysterectomy I also had pain there that radiated along my lower back. All excrutiating. (sp?) I even had bursitis in the area around my left hip joint as well, last year, related to my gait, which resloved when I was no longer limping, using a cane, etc.

OK, enough background. I had my first appointment last week. She did an external eval, and a detailed history. The external eval examined all sorts of stuff. She also did a bladder ultrasound to eval my pelvic floor muscles tone and function. She had me do what are essentially kegals. Turns out, I'm hardly using my pelvic floor at all, my bladder should be pushed up, but instead I tend to push down with my abdominal oblique muscles, pushing my bladder down. She taught me some ways of releasing the abdominal muscles, but did not want me to do the kegal-type exercises yet.

Today she did the internal eval. She was very gentle and talked me through it, making sure I was ok. She found I had several painful areas in my pelvic muscles. Then she did an EMG where she put little electrode pads on either side of my anus (embassing to discuss, but I am sure you guys may have had the same sorts of thing) to eval my resting muscle tone. Then she had me do some biofeedback with the kegal exercises again, at first I was totally not doing it right. But watching the tracing, I was sort of able to visualize in my mind how to get it up there properly. It was kind of cool. Then she kept the biofeedback on while doing another bladder ultrasound, and I was doing better than last week. I always though biofeedback was a crock, but I thought this was pretty cool. She wants me to practice this, but focusing on gentle tightening and relaxing completely in between. Also the stretches.

So far I am pretty impressed. She is gentle and is actually teaching me things to do at home. Also, last week she'd told me about miracle balls you use to relax or trigger point release, whatever.....she sells them at cost, but I didn't get them last week. Today I told her I would get some, but she told me honestly that I probably don't need them, since I have already decreased the use of the abdominal obliques. That makes me feel good, knowing she is not just out to seperate me from my wallet.

I hope this helps me in some way, even if it doesn't keep me out of the bathroom!
    My dx: RA, Fibro, Interstitial Cystitis, Bipolar Type 2, Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, IBS
    My meds: MTX, Leukovorin, Humira, Prednisone for RA flares, Celebrex, Orphenedrine, Tramadol as needed, Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Lyrica, Trazodone, Nexium, Singulair, Atarax, Elmiron, Provigil, and Macrobid/Trimethoprim (rotate monthly). I also take a multivitamin, Magnesium, Calcium supplements, fiber supplements, probiotics, and vitamin D.
    Current treatments: bladder instillations

Come play with me on Facebook!

Kegels are the last thing you want to do ...so sounds like your PT is helping.

Even with good PT the beginning of PT can be very hard..awakening muscles can mean extra pain.

My current PT is actually my second...and even though I have done biofeedback with the last one I was still very off on what was straining to pee and what was relaxing...now that I know again it helps.
    Faith, Hope, and Love,
    Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back!

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
    Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

[email protected] please contact me...I am here to help!

Comment

Originally posted by Katrina View Post
      Kegels are the last thing you want to do ...so sounds like your PT is helping.

Even with good PT the beginning of PT can be very hard..awakening muscles can mean extra pain.

My current PT is actually my second...and even though I have done biofeedback with the last one I was still very off on what was straining to pee and what was relaxing...now that I know again it helps.
      Yeah, last week when she had me do the exercises, I was totally pushing my bladder downward. I improved some this week.

But you're right about awakening muscles and extra pain. I've become very sore for the past few hours, so I think some gentle stretches and either some tramadol, ativan, or both...would be nice before bedtime!
      My dx: RA, Fibro, Interstitial Cystitis, Bipolar Type 2, Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, IBS
      My meds: MTX, Leukovorin, Humira, Prednisone for RA flares, Celebrex, Orphenedrine, Tramadol as needed, Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Lyrica, Trazodone, Nexium, Singulair, Atarax, Elmiron, Provigil, and Macrobid/Trimethoprim (rotate monthly). I also take a multivitamin, Magnesium, Calcium supplements, fiber supplements, probiotics, and vitamin D.
      Current treatments: bladder instillations

Come play with me on Facebook!

Comment

Working...
      X