Valuim Sapository for PFD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valuim Sapository for PFD

First please excuse my spelling....I am new to IC and have found myself a wonderful Uro that is older and obviously not cuttent on the use of the suppositries as when I brough them up to him today...he went and got his PDR and we talked about this. He said he thought that the idea was wonderful and to let him know how they worked for me so he can pass this on to his other IC-PFD patients if needed. I love the fact that he was SO willing to try out something new when I told him I had read about it on the internet. Basically all I need to know is, is it inserted vaginally or recoally? I could have swore I read that it was vaginally but since this is new to both my Ur and I, I need to ask and make sure befor eI try it. Thank you!!!

They are vaginal suppositories. I have been using them for over a year and find they help me a lot. You have to get them from a compounding pharmacy. A lot of your locally owned pharmacies compound and some Walgreen's do as well. I just switched to Walgreen's and I am very happy with them, they don't have any dye in them (one place made them and they were blue) and they are in a nice package that makes them easy to use. In order to find a compounding Walgreen's do a store search on their website and check the compounding pharmacy choice. Oh, and my insurance won't cover them but they only cost me $35 for a months worth, they are cheapest at Walgreen's for me.
    Link to the patient information, everything from What is IC? to Disability
    http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

American Urological Association Clinical Guideline
    Diagnosis and Treatment of Intersitial Cysitis/Painful Bladder Syndrom
    http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf

Comment

Walgreens is where I go. My Dr thought they would be better in the Rectum than Vagina? But like I said before, this is a new one for him.

Comment

From what I know most people with IC use them vaginally. However, when I got mine from Walgreen's on the label it said for rectal use only. I called them to check that they hadn't made a mistake and to see if the recipe was the same with both and she said they were the same. Then she said that most people use them rectally, not sure for what condition. I use them vaginally and they work great!

Comment

I just called Walgreens and they told me what was ordered was a pre filled tube with gel in it to be used rectally. That it was not a compound. Is this the right stuff? If not, my dr will call t in the right way but I need to be sure ya know?

Comment

suppositories

No, it is not a cream. They are formed into bullet like suppositories that have to be kept refrigerated in order not to get too soft. They are to be inserted vaginally. I know some people have used them rectally but you would get a much stronger concentration of valium in your system doing that. Unfortunately, vaginally one often loses some because it drips out...that's why I always had to do it only at bedtime. Hope that helps. Nancy

Comment

Does the Walgreen's you took the perscription to do compounding? Not all do. Nancy is right, that is not the right med. You do use them at night, they also help you sleep better since the valium does enter your bloodstream as well.

I hope you get this straightened out quickly. My perscription just says valium suppository to be used at night.

Let us know if you get is straight.

Comment

Thank you Sailawaygrl for the information! I was having mine compounded at a pharmacy where I was paying $90.00 for 30, 5mg suppositaries Thanks to you I did a search on the Walgreens website for a pharmacy that does compound medicine. I found one a mile away from home, called and found out they are only charging $40.00 for 30. What a difference, I couldn't believe it! Also this is so close it will save me time and gasoline My insurance doesn't cover the cost of any compounded medicine so I am thrilled about the saving!
                IC started in September 2009. In remission in July 2011. Came back in September 2013 after UTI at a stressfull time.
                First Treatment - (Trying it currently again)
                Lyrica 50mg at night
                Cystoprotek 3 a day - Prelief
                Valium suppositaries 2.5mg (only w.e. to avoid dependency)
                Natural Progesteron 100 mg from day 16 to day 25 of cycle
                Solgar Gentle Iron 25 mg for low ferritin
                Vitamin D 1,000.00 UI a day for low vitamin D
                Ester C 500 mg a day - Probiotics
                Physical Therapy for pelvic floor pain - Acupuncture - Yoga
                Blood test showed slight allergy to wheat so I did eliminate wheat from my diet for 4 months

Comment

My insurance doesn't cover them either, so glad you were able to find them so much cheaper. That will make a big difference in your monthly medication bill! Glad I helped you.

Comment

valium suppositories

They are wonderful. I too use them at night because they are so messy and they really do help me sleep. This was the beginning of a life saver for me and yes other compounding pharmacies charge mush more than the walgreens that do it. For those of you who don't have insurance like me somtimes the state you reside in offers a discount rx card. Ohio has one called ohio best rx card. I only pay $9 for 30 with the card. They are prescribed 1 q 8 hours as needed but I only use them at night.

My doctor also referred me to a pelvic pain clinic and they were also wonderful. I am currently enrolled as of two day in what is called an ice pack study that studys persons with pfd and ic. After a long grueling see sawing barrage of doctors and diagnoses I have finally been diagnosed as definetly having IC and PFD, and I just was awarded SSD as of 1/31/11 for my multiple disorders aned painful conditions. Whew finally.

nocluenotalone

Comment

Suppositaries

Sailway,
                      I finally got my prescription filled out at Walgreens yesterday and I only paid $39.00 for 30 supppositaries. I was happy about the price however once I got home and found out they were blue I was deceived since I really try to stay away from any kind of dye or colorant. Do you think it is going to be an issue? The first time I had them prescribed they were clear and I paid $90.00 for 60. The second time they were white and I paid $90.00 for 30. I am going to ask Walgreens next time if they can do it without the blue dye (probably coming from the blue valium pill) however I hope it won't be an issue meanwhile
                      IC started in September 2009. In remission in July 2011. Came back in September 2013 after UTI at a stressfull time.
                      First Treatment - (Trying it currently again)
                      Lyrica 50mg at night
                      Cystoprotek 3 a day - Prelief
                      Valium suppositaries 2.5mg (only w.e. to avoid dependency)
                      Natural Progesteron 100 mg from day 16 to day 25 of cycle
                      Solgar Gentle Iron 25 mg for low ferritin
                      Vitamin D 1,000.00 UI a day for low vitamin D
                      Ester C 500 mg a day - Probiotics
                      Physical Therapy for pelvic floor pain - Acupuncture - Yoga
                      Blood test showed slight allergy to wheat so I did eliminate wheat from my diet for 4 months

Comment

valium vag suppositories

Hi, mine have always been white and bullet shaped from walgreens, I don't eally know why other than the fact that valium pills are blu. Did you inquire of them as to why they are blue?

Comment

pelvic floor dis

Have you had tranvaginal therapy for pfd? I have'nt tried it yet but I am scheduled for it soon. Does it hurt? I'm scarede but I will try it. I don't know if you can be dependant on valium suppositories can you?

Comment

I asked my doctor, and he's supposed to be one of the most respected and experienced with IC in my area, what is the one medicine that has helped the most with his IC patients. He had to think for a few seconds but he finally said valium suppositories. (rectal variety) So I decided to try them and it was weird at first but no big deal after a couple of times. They worked fairly well and I am going back for some more but they are very expensive. My dr. also believes that the PFD is caused by a degredation of the bladder and urethral lining and not the other way around. So I understand the suppositories to be and from my experience they are a temporary, partial solution to a symptom of a much bigger problem.

And once again...another medication aimed at the symptom and not the cause

but like I said, I'm going back for more. And forget about the part about them being inserted rectally and not taken orally to avoid the systemic affects of valium...those things are very strong and readily absorbed into the blood stream, at least for me anyway. I would suggest taking before bedtime or a long nap.

Comment

Mine are white from Walgreen's, one pharmacy I went to had the blue ones too. They didn't bother me but I do prefer the white one's just because they do leak some. I would talk to them, it seems that they would all have the same recipe, wouldn't it. At least we know they can make them the other way.

Shannon, how strong are your's? Mine a 10mg, but you will build a tolerance to them making you so sleepy. Although I have been using them for over a year and I use them at night and they do help me sleep.

Comment

Working...
                              X