Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Urologist Recommended Seeing a Physiotherapist...Now What...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Urologist Recommended Seeing a Physiotherapist...Now What...

Hi All!

I just had an appointment with the urologist this afternoon. So far in my long time struggles with IC, I haven't had a lot of luck with treatments. Nothing I have tried yet has worked. Today, my doctor prescribed cimetidine and suggested that I see a physiotherapist for an assessment of my pelvic floor muscles.

Now, I don't know if I even fit the bill for PFD, and even the doctor was skeptical that it could help, but she said I could try it since there's no harm in it.

I guess my problem with it all is...what are the odds that it could actually help? I don't typically have any trouble starting a urine stream or anything, but I do have a significant amount of pain in the whole area, from IC flares and especially during sex. Could physio help with any of this?

Also...I'm a really private person, and it's been very hard for me already to have so many issues in such a delicate area...and I am having a really hard time wrapping my head around the idea of someone probing around down there. Any advice on how to get through this? And what exactly would they be doing? Any help you guys could give would be awesome, thanks!

I had been in pt for two months for pelvic floor spasms. It did help quite a lot but I couldn't afford to continue indefinitely. My therapy consisted of an assessment by the pt, massage work on my abdomen, legs, lower back, tens unit on my pelvic area, and internal vaginal muscle release. She also did some biofeedback on me to see if I was able to relax my pelvic floor muscles on my own. The internal vaginal muscle release work was not my most favorite part for sure, but I think it was the most effective for getting those muscles to stop spasming. If you are shy about this type of therapy it may be uncomfortable for you. Not everyone agrees to have this type of pt done but I feel it was a tremendous help to me along with heat, epsom salts baths, and pelvic stretches.

Comment

Originally posted by earthlady View Post
      I had been in pt for two months for pelvic floor spasms. It did help quite a lot but I couldn't afford to continue indefinitely. My therapy consisted of an assessment by the pt, massage work on my abdomen, legs, lower back, tens unit on my pelvic area, and internal vaginal muscle release. She also did some biofeedback on me to see if I was able to relax my pelvic floor muscles on my own. The internal vaginal muscle release work was not my most favorite part for sure, but I think it was the most effective for getting those muscles to stop spasming. If you are shy about this type of therapy it may be uncomfortable for you. Not everyone agrees to have this type of pt done but I feel it was a tremendous help to me along with heat, epsom salts baths, and pelvic stretches.
      Hey earthlady, I was wondering how long it took to notice a difference in symptoms, and if the therapy is still keeping spasms at bay?
      21 years old
      dx: severe OAB, mild/moderate IC, depression, PTSD, agoraphobia, chronic fatigue, IBS, peripheral neuropathy

♥ looking for a way or medication to help stop spasms ♥

Comment

It was about six weeks into therapy that I noticed a decline in painful spasms. My Dr. kept telling me if I could hang in there for at least six weeks I should see an improvement so I guess she was right. (for me at least). I haven't had any painful spasms since I ended therapy but I do keep up with my at home pelvic stretches and epsom salts baths. I also still use heat as a preventative (Ha, guess I'm paranoid about them coming back) I still drink my chamomile tea too to keep the muscles relaxed. My dr. also showed me how to massage my own pelvic floor muscles internally but I don't think I was as good at it as the therapist was.

Comment

I'm glad it worked so well for you! Spasms are a big part of the problem for me.
          One more thing, can you tell me how often you went? It's expensive so I don't know if I'll be able to go more than once a week...
          21 years old
          dx: severe OAB, mild/moderate IC, depression, PTSD, agoraphobia, chronic fatigue, IBS, peripheral neuropathy

♥ looking for a way or medication to help stop spasms ♥

Comment

Most weeks I went twice a week- some weeks were once if other things came up that I couldn't make it. I did go back a few times for a tune up too. The cost was too much for me to continue indefinitely though.

Comment

I just started pt as well. It is costly but I figure it is worth it if it works. I am going weekly and driving 45 minutes each way. The PT is massaging trigger points internally and has me doing stretches at home.

Good luck! I do feel your financial pain though

Gina
              Tried but failed:
              aloe vera (6 weeks)
              cysto/hydro
              cystoprotek
              elmiron (quit because of diarrhea) after one week
              restarted gradually and fine now since July 1/2011
              gelnique: made me feel like a zombie

On now:
              elmiron: 200 mg twice a day
              levsin: every 4 hours
              ativan: bedtime only
              PT for pfd. Amazing for my muscles.

Comment

Pt only helps if you have muscle issues, like trigger points, myofascial pain, or muscle spasms. With that being said, the vast majority of people who have suffered chronic pelvic pain issues will develop those issues. So its definitely a good idea to get an assessment of your pelvic floor since it is likely you will have muscle issues.

I hope it helps!
                Current treatment:
                Elmiron 100mg 3x a day
                Hydroxyzine 75mg
                Lyrica 100mg 3x a day
                Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy started 12/10
                Ativan 1-2mg as needed

Bloging my thoughts at www.thispatientperspective.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                X