E Stim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E Stim

What exactly is E Stim? My physical therapist is going to try it during our next session, and I have no idea what to expect. Is it similar to a TENS unit?

um!!!!!!!!!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erotic_electrostimulation this is what I found in wikipedia.
    Then I found this. http://blog.erostek.com/2009/10/30/guide-to-e-stim/
    'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

I am going to PT and yes the estim is very similar to the tens unit It kinda feels the same when she does it. She told me there is a difference from the tens unit however in the way it works. How is your PT going? I am feeling more pain since going. It does not hurt however, the massage is what is hurting me. She will scale up the charge until you feel it so go slow at first. Keep me posted on your progress please.

sully

Comment

My physical therapy is on hold. Last week she did a massage on my lower abdomen (left and right...not on top of bladder). Within a few hours, I was in the worst pain of my life. Not the "normal" IC pain...it felt like someone had attached a bowling ball to my bladder and it was trying to pull my bladder out (I know that sounds weird). I figured my adhesions were inflammed and pulling, but the pain was unreal. After about 24 hours of severe pain, my gyno insisted I go to the ER. They did a CAT Scan (b/c it had been a couple years since my last one). It came back normal, which means it probably was scar tissue. I'm scared to death to go back to PT in a couple weeks. The therapist said she wouldn't push, but she would try E Stim. However, I'm scared to death the E Stim will hurt or make things worse. The normal pain is bad enough, but the pain from the massage was unbearable.

Comment

I am so sorry you have had a bad experience with PT. I had a really bad one with the first PT I tried and the one I am going to now used a probe on me and had me doing kegels and I was in the most severe pain since being dx with IC too. I really know how frustrated, angry, sad and depressed this all can make you. I just want to tell you that the e stim does not hurt. It feels like a tingling sensation and you can adjust the strength of the sensation or your PT will so be sure to have her go slow and you can turn it off at any time. I put my PT on hold also because I have company for a month. Talk about stress.........anyway I do plan to go back because I believe, for me anyway, that PFD could be a lot of my issues. I just read a book called Healing Pelvic Pain and it has all my symptoms to a T. It was recommended by Jill here on the IC network. I found it very interesting. We have to be in charge when it comes to our therapy and care I have found and to speak up when someone wants us to do something that will make us hurt. I will hurt for a short time if I know it will make me better in the long run but if I don't have it to look forward to then forget it. I do plan on going back to my therapist because I believe she is well informed, together we will find what works for me.

Best of luck.

sully

Comment

I have that same book...I've been trying to do the stretches, but sometimes it pulls on the adhesions and makes it worse...I'm just doing as much as I can take. I guess I can try the E Stim. I use a TENS unit every night when I sleep, and I think it helps. I always feel better in the morning, and then as the day goes by, I feel worse. It's just so hard to tell what is causing the pain (IC, adhesions, IBS or endo) or if multiple things are working together. It does get so frustrating, depressing, etc. It makes me sad that you and other people have to experience the pain too, but it's nice to know there are people who understand what I'm going through. Unless you've experienced it yourself, it's next to impossible to understand and relate. It effects your entire life, and people don't get that.

Comment

Melanie, I can feel your pain. I too wake up feeling pretty well and have lots of energy...........as the day goes by I get just drained and the pain starts and I get so down. I just want to cry and do cry a lot of days. I understand the feeling of happiness to be able to communicate with someone else that feels the same way we do. I just got the book and have not even tried the exercises yet, well a couple, but not a lot. I am sorry you also have endo I guess I am blessed to not have that, just IC, IBS, Vulvadynia and PFD.......no big deal, right :-)) WRONG. I guess all you can do is try the PT and ask her to take it very, very slow. If you feel she is listening to you and your pain that comes after then maybe you can advance and have it do you some good. I feel just like you do but I keep trying different approaches and nothing else has helped much so I want to continue with the PT at least for awhile longer. Wishing you answers and a pain free day.
              You know I have had 3 nerve blocks in the last 4 months and they have really helped my IC pain a great deal. I know it is only a temporay treatment but it is nice to have a break from the pain cycle. I had to go to a pain clinic for them. I insisted they give sedation for them and they do not hurt much at all, just some minor pain from the injection site.

Hugs,
              Sully

Comment

What is a nerve block? I was at the doctor today, and he wants to refer me to Ohio State for pain management. Said they can give shots in specific locations for the pain. Is this what you had done?

Even if it is temporary, it's worth it. My doctor said he didn't want to hide the pain. In my head I was thinking, "Hide it!" It's not like I've been in a little pain for a few days...I've had major pain almost every day for about 4 years. I have come to the conclusion there is no "fix" so I want to mask the pain as much as possible. I don't think my doctor feel comfortable dealing with the pain issue, so it is probably good that I go for pain management.

Comment

Melanie,
                  I was just referred to a pain clinic in April for the first time. It has been 3 yrs for me with the pain. Pain clinics here require that it is a long term pain issue. The nerve block they gave me is called a caudel epidural.......I think i spelled it almost right :-)) Anyway, they put shots of lidocaine and steroids into the space at the bottom of your spine, not the spine itself, if you look on a map of the body you will see that there is a space at the end of the tailbone that my Dr uses. I guess most people use sedation for it but I was afraid of it when I went and was not going to have it without sedation. Sedation was an injection of versed and fentanyl. It just made me kind of groggy and out of it for the procedure which only lasts a very short time. I then went to a bed and they monitored me for about a half hour and my husband was with me so I had a ride home and that was it. They will not do the sedation without a driver there. I did have some pain/discomfort at the injection site for a few days. The first time I had it it was heaven almost right away, after 3 yrs of constant pain I could not believe that it felt so wonderful to not have pain. I did not believe it was gone and kept expecting it to come back at any minute. I had another one 4 wks later and had an appt for my 3rd one 6wks later but was able to push it back to 9 wks. Now it has been about 3 wks since my 3rd injection and I still feel OK. I can't say I am perfect, I still have some vaginal burning, itching that does not seem to go away but the IC pain is gone for the time being. My Dr said that there are only so many shots they can give me because they are steroids and I have also heard that at some point they just stop working............so I know it is not a permanent fix but a welcome relief from the pain. During this time I am going to PT for PFD which my Pt thought was a good time to do it since I have had the nerve block. As far as moving my legs, arms, moving in general I do not feel any difference at all. I can pee fine to even if it still burns... What I am trying to say is I do not have any side effects from the shots. I have not gotten any drugs from the pain clinic yet but do know they do write prescriptions for them if needed. Let me know what happens when you go to the pain clinic. I live in Michigan so we are not far apart. Where in Ohio do you live? And do you feel you have found a really, really good Dr for your IC? I am still looking for the perfect Dr. I do have a perfect nurse that is very helpful and knowledgeable about IC but still need a Dr. My GYN is great but not very informed on IC. She says she sends her patients to U of M for it. I live on the West side of the state in St Joseph.

Hugs and prayers you will find relief.

sully

Comment

Melanie, the part about this illness affecting our entire life I totally get and that no one else gets it I also totally get! It does not kill us but it sure steals our lives!!

Comment

I live at the southern point of Ohio...right across from Kentucky. It takes me about 2 hours to get to Columbus/OSU. Honestly, I don't feel like I've found anyone that knows much about IC. I've searched and searched, but haven't had much luck. I even had an appointment with a doctor at OSU, but he was less help than most of the other doctors I've been to see. I think I know more about IC than most of them. It's so frustrating!

Comment

I feel the same way!!! I know more than most of the Drs I see too. I have been to 2 urologist, 1 primary and he kinda knows, 2 gyns.........there is a clinic in Royal Oak Michigan at Beaumont Hospital which specializes in IC and other disorders of women but especailly IC and PFD. I keep thinking I might go there just to see what they say but if they say get PT and follow the diet, etc or the pain clinic then I have done all that and don't want to drive 3 hrs for treatment. It is bad enough to drive 1 hr for PT.........but still not ruling it out. I just feel so alone in all this, like I am supposed to figure it out on my own. Honestly, I have learned the most from this board. And feel the best support. However, I do have a great nurse that really knows IC. But, she is in a spot now where I am worried she will leave the practice and I will be up a s*&t creek for drug prescriptions. She gives me valium suppositores, do you know about them? They are awesome in calming everything down. I also have a vicodin script for when things get really bad.

If you want to have more of a private conversation please feel free to email me at [email protected] anytime at any rate keep in touch please.

Sandy Sullivan

Comment

I just asked my doctor about Valium yesterday (not the suppositories though)...he acted like they wouldn't help. I'm not trying to say anything bad about my doctors b/c I know IC is a very difficult condition to treat...there is no simple fix. In fact, yesterday my doctor said, "Unfortunately, you're going to have to deal with your IC for the rest of your life." He did write me a script for Lortab...I've only used it a few times when it's really bad, and it seems to help a little (but doesn't take all the pain away). Is Vicodin stronger than Lortab? As far as PT, I have to drive an hour to therapy, so I have to weigh the benefits vs. the risks (driving in the car for long distances causes me more pain)...but I think I am going to give the E Stim a try next week...I'm still nervous though.

Comment

I agree about the drive and sitting and it causing more pain. Sometimes I have my husband drive me so I can lay down with the seat reclined. I am thinking about getting a cushion to sit on too as it seems when I sit in one spot very long the pelvic floor muscles start tighening up. The vicodin does help me a lot. I also tend to only use them when needed and then I even cut them in half. Too much constipates, ya I know TMI, so I go easy on them but when it hurts and I need relief I do reach for them. The valium suppositores are great. they have to be made at a compounding pharmacy. My local walgreens makes them for me. You do need a script for them. Maybe you could ask around at your local drugstores and see who might make them. They have to be kept in the refrigerator and they can be used vaginally or in the rectum. I usually use them vaginally but after PT my PF muscles went crazy and I used one in the butt and it really works. They are messy so you need to put a cloth under you because they melt. They have glycerin in them and should have no dyes in them either. I usually use them at night. I have not tried a loratab so can't tell you if vicodin is better or not. I will see the nerve block has really helped with the pain tremendously. What kind of Dr are you going to? My nurse is the one that prescribed the suppositores for me. In the book by Dr Moldwin, he suggests using them. The IC survial guide.
                            Hope you are having a good day.

sandy

Comment

Working...
                            X