X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICNDonna
    replied
    Re: UTIs and Testing After Bladder Removal

I haven't had my bladder removed so I honestly don't really have an answer for you, but I have a tendency to agree with treatment based on symptoms. You might want to talk with her about possibly doing a culture when there aren't any symptoms --- that could determine whether culture results are accurate.

It has to be difficult not being able to get an accurate diagnosis.

Warm hugs,
    Donna

Leave a comment:

• OllieR
    started a topic UTIs and Testing After Bladder Removal

UTIs and Testing After Bladder Removal

Hey, as the title implies, I have a question about UTIs I'm hoping I can get some help with. I had my bladder removed a number of years ago now, replaced with an Indiana Pouch. I have never had much trouble with UTIs, not before my surgery or after, so I don't have a lot of experience with this. Due to a change in insurance I'm seeing a new uro that I love and who is, I would say, about the same level of experience with this surgery as my old uro, but they have 2 differing views:

My old uro said even with my pouch, if I had a UTI I could have a regular dip stick and/or culture done and it would still show pretty accurate results as long as I make it as clean catch as possible. My new uro suggested that these tests give false positives for somebody like me, because having a pouch and using a catheter would mean I always have bacteria in my urine. However, there have indeed been times when I've tested negative (I test after a course of antibiotics to make sure the UTI is gone; since my symptoms can be vague sometimes when I test it winds up negative; routine well-visit testing; etc.) I even had a negative dip stick in her office once!

Perhaps I misunderstood her, but I wanted to see what you guys thought, because I've tested positive for a UTI off and on all summer and I think I have another one now. She did say she recommends treatment when symptoms are present, even if she thinks it could be a false positive. My symptoms can be vague: fever, fatigue, malaise, pouch cramps, but one noticeable thing is the look and smell of my urine. I have also had cultures grow various bacteria during a suspected UTI.

So now I wonder, how do I know when I have a UTI??? In the past I've really relied on dip sticks to help confirm my suspicions and have found them very helpful. Any help from your experience would be sooo appreciated!
Working...
X