Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exploratory surgery and bladder stretching????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lisaur
    replied
    Re: Exploratory surgery and bladder stretching????

What level of relief do you find it provides? And how long does it take for the benefits to be obvious?

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied

If you weren't at least a little nervous about a surgical procedure, I would be concerned about you. I suspect that the reason we don't like the idea of anesthesia is that it places us in a situation over which we have no control. I have had over forty hydrodistentions and I'm still nervous every time!

Hugs,
    Donna

Leave a comment:

• lisaur
    replied

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm absolutely stressed out about the whole process! I'm petrified of being put to sleep too!
    I'll try and call up and ask questions today. But it's through the public hospital system over here in New Zealand and it's underfunded and overworked so you're lucky to get appointments, let alone responses to questions!
    Oh dear! I was hoping to get back to work the next day or the day after at the latest but maybe I need to focus a bit more on self care! I could try working from home maybe! I work at a computer but I see people in interview rooms in person quite regularly throughout the day too.
    Ohhh I hope it goes well and actually helps!!!!

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied

It sounds very much like they will be doing a cystoscopy with hydrodistention --- and probably that "small piece" is a biopsy --- I suggest you call the office and ask.

If I'm right, what they will do is use a water solution to stretch your bladder. They hang a plastic container bag (sometimes 2) from a stand beside the operating table. You will probably see the bag/s when you're moved from the gurney to the table. You will have a blood pressure cuff on your arm so you can be monitored the entire time. The last thing you will probably remember is having a needle stuck in your IV tube and you'll be in la-la land and wake up in a recovery area.

You may have some pain when you wake up, and the first few times you urinate afterwards can feel like you're turning inside out. When that happens to me, I take some deep breaths and try to relax --- that only usually lasts for a day or two. Hydrodistention is a major treatment for me and I have had a lot of them --- when I was working, we would schedule me for a Tuesday or Wednesday and I'd go back to work the following Monday. That can depend on your job; I spent a large part of my work day at a computer or in meetings. I suggest you ask for some pain medications for the first few days in case you need them.

I have a tendency to be nauseated with anesthesia so the anesthesiologist applies a scopalamine patch behind my ear before I go to surgery and that helps.

I hope it goes well for you.

Warm hugs,
    Donna

Leave a comment:

• lisaur
    started a topic Exploratory surgery and bladder stretching????

Exploratory surgery and bladder stretching????

I've waited years for a referral to the hospital and finally got one recently. The urologist there told me I needed surgery - that I was going to be put to sleep and they would remove a small piece of my bladder, and that they would stretch my bladder out. I've done some google searches and it sounds like a Cystoscopy with hydrodistention? I had no chance to ask any questions. All I know is they've marked my surgery as urgent so hopefully I won't wait too long for it.
    But I have so many questions and I'm not sure who can answer them!
    What are they doing to do? How much does it hurt afterwards? What pain relief can I take - most seem to irritate my bladder? What's the recovery time - how long am I going to be off work?
    I've never been under general anaesthetic before!! Any answers gratefully received.
Working...
X