Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bladder bypass surgery

Originally posted by Herb042244 View Post
    Judith56.... My doc said I need the ileal counduit.. in a couple of weeks. Read your post and am interested in the internal one.. can you tell me what doctor did it?
    What city, state? or even better, the doctors phone number, address, etc etc
    [email protected] I'm in Chicago, IL, Really would appreciate this info from you ( I asked my present doctor if the bag could be placed inside my abdoman. the doc said NO?
    The ileal conduit cannot be placed inside your abdomen. It's an external pouch which attaches to your skin kind of like a bandaid and the urine exits through a stoma in your abdomen into the bag. Once the bag is full, you walk up to a toilet, open the drainable valve on the pouch and empty. The bag must be changed periodically, like every 3-7 days. I had my bladder removed a year ago and I have an ileal conduit. It's a piece o'cake to deal with for me.

It sounds like you're interested in knowing more about the Indiana pouch or the Neo-bladder. The Indiana pouch is a urine reservoir which is fashioned from part of your large intestine. The pouch stays inside your body. However, there is a small opening to the outside of your body and when your pouch needs to be emptied, you must insert a catheter to "pee". The Neobladder is also an internal urine reservoir but it's made from your small intestine. The difference is that it is attached to your urethra so that urine exits the body the way it would normally. The muscles have to be trained to work right and some people have difficulty with this and therefore have lots of leaking. If a person has issues with their urethra, they would not be a good candidate for a Neo-bladder.

There is lots of information on the internet about all three types of urinary diversions. You may want to read through some of it to determine which one you really want and which one may work the best for your needs and your lifestyle.

"When you gotta go, you gotta go!"

Comment

Re: Bladder bypass surgery

Originally posted by Herb042244 View Post
      Judith56.... My doc said I need the ileal counduit.. in a couple of weeks. Read your post and am interested in the internal one.. can you tell me what doctor did it?
      What city, state? or even better, the doctors phone number, address, etc etc
      [email protected] I'm in Chicago, IL, Really would appreciate this info from you ( I asked my present doctor if the bag could be placed inside my abdoman. the doc said NO?
      I had my internal pouch surgery, also known as an Indiana Pouch done at Lahey Clinic in Burlington Mass 25 years ago. The doctor that did it retired. Closer to you would be Cleveland Clnic, I know they do that sort of surgery there. I don have names of surgeons, but if you contact the clinic I am sure they could refer you to someone who could help you.

Comment

Working...
      X