Bladder Augmentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bladder Augmentation

I was just diagnosed with a non-compliant bladder. I have pressure in there, which I did not know. Uro is talking about a bladder augmentation. Would this help my frequency/urgency at all, or just the pressure? It is a huge surgery.
    Diagnosed with IC in May 2011

Current Medications:
    Elmiron 400 mg daily
    Imipramine 75 mg daily

Have you tried all other treatment options with no relief? If you aren't able to find any other option to help, that leans toward making a decision. I think I might go for a second opinion before making that serious decision.

Warm hugs,
    Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I agree with Donna, try other things and certainly get another opinion! I had the surgery and for me it was not successful. You need to ask your doctor how many he has done and what is the long term success rate. Do the patients end up needing to have further surgery, if it does not work? Ask what the chances are of the IC spreading to the new section. Ask if there will be any changes in bowel function due to the resection they will need to do. Also ask what section of bowel he plans on using, if he tells you the ileal cecal segment, then just know that is where B-12 is absorbed and down the line you may be in need of B-12 supplements .

Comment

Yes, I have tried other things. I have been on all sorts of medications, PT and The Interstim. My Uro isn't sure I have IC at this point. When she read the CMG, she said she was questioning that now, I don't think there is anyway to know for sure. My capacity it 4 ouces awake and 450 CC during a hydro. My Uro has been against any bladder surgery, but says the pressure in my bladder is high enough that she is worried about kidney damage.

Current Medications:
        Elmiron 400 mg daily
        Imipramine 75 mg daily

Comment

have you had a biopsy done of your bladder?

Comment

No. Are you referring to a biopsy taken during a hydro to check for mast cells?

Current Medications:
            Elmiron 400 mg daily
            Imipramine 75 mg daily

Comment

Yes and to check for other things. I was diagnosed back in 1978 so I know the diagnosis back then had a different criteria. This was long before Elmiron, the IC diet or a while host of what is currently available.I strongly advise you to get a second opinion as the augmentation surgery is not an easy thing to go through with. Also be aware that for some folks it has put them in permanent retention so the only way to urinate is with a catheter. See if you can speak to some of the surgeons other patients who have had this procedure done and ask them how they are doing.

Comment

Judith,
                As you know, I've been contemplating bladder removal for many years now. It's so bad that I am using a catheter and foley to leave the house. The Retention is horrible. The only thing that is taking away my burning pain is Tremadol. The problem with Tremadol is that it makes my retention worse. But the relief from the burning is so severe, I still take the Tremadol anyway. I see Dr Evans in NC June 18th regarding bladder removal, but I am still uncertain because I am hearing so much negativity about kidney problems after bladder removal. Only you and one other person are doing fine with their kidneys. I don't want to have the surgery if my kidneys are going to have problems. It's just trading one problem for another and It kind'of defeats the purpose, ya know? But at the same time, i am TIRED of using catheters and foleys just to leave my house. I am getting infection after infection...so I'm not sure which is worse? I have LOTs of questions for Dr Evans when I see him. Do you have the outside or the inside?

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Susan, I initially had an ileal conduit in which I wore an external pouch on my body. After 6 years I had it converted to the internal pouch. With any type of surgery there is always the possibility for other problems to arise. I think you need to ask your doctor lots of questions, and you may want to sit down and write up a list of pros and cons about having the surgery. After having no bladder for the past 27 years I do have kidney stones, BUT there are LOTS of folks that still have a bladder that get them. You need to decide what you can put up with and what would put you over the top. I ahve had my share of issues after having my bladder out, but I still would rather be with out a bladder than live with the one I had.

Comment

Working...
                  X