Marsupials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marsupials?

I just read a list of terms on the medcafe which called folks with pouches - marsupials. Now that helps to inject a little humor into a tense situation. I kind of like that.

When I first got my ostomy I used to say I was a kangaroo.

Comment

That cute!

I have never thought of that but it sure is fitting! Wouldn't that be something to tell people you have a K(angaroo) Pouch. I may just have to borrow the term. I'd like to watch thier faces with that one. Judith, it must have been easier than trying to explain an Indiana Pouch...It's cute!

Kara
      Complex Case: Severe IC 1999, Interstim 2001, Endometriosis 2001, End Stage Refractory IC 2002, Bladder Removal (Cystectomy) 2002, Gall Bladder Removal 2005, Infertility 2003, Urethra Removal, Bladder Reconstruction (Urethrectomy/Indiana Pouch) 2006, Celiac Disease 2007, Adhesion Disease 2007, Pudendal Nerve Entrapment, Ovarian Cysts, Vestibulitis, Vulvodynia, Total Vestibulectomy and removal of both Skene's Glands, 2007 and Coccydynia 2007. Fibromyalgia and, Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome both in my neck and knees, 2007, PNE Decompression Operation May, 2009.Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Anesthesia Awareness (to awaken during operations)Pudendal Nerve Decompression Surgery, Revrse Uterine Sling, Sept. 2011

"One hour at a time, this was NOT my American Dream but it has to work out somehow."

I also have some journals of my journeys, past and some present at:
      http://karasnewblog2008.blogspot.com/ and http://icnkaralynn.blogspot.com/

Most of my Journaling now is currently on Facebook. These are old and my ICN Patient story is very old and outdated.

Comment

Coincidence or Synchronicity?

Marsupials: The group of mammals commonly thought of as "pouched" mammals, like the wallaby and kangaroo.
        An interesting tidbit worth sharing:

Since making the decision to have my surgery, I have been reading through all of the threads in this section to glean all the info I can get--and I have learned a great deal about a lot of different things. But, I must admit, the following is one I didn't quite expect!

Last Saturday I bought some hairspray when we went to the grocery store. I have used Aussie hair products for many years, and this time there was a cute little purple stuffed kanagroo wrapped around the can. Beyond a passing thought about whose child I could give it to as a toy, I didn't think too much about it. Until, that is, I was reading through some of these threads that very same night and ran across this one!!

Reading this a mere few hours after unwrapping a little purple kangaroo of my very own, well...it was truly "one of those moments" where you think ... Whoa...!!

So, Coincidence or Synchronicity?

Either way, I can't help but take it as a good omen, and although I am not particularly superstitious, my little purple kanagroo is now my Mascot/Good Luck Talisman!

Ah...the wonders and mysteries of life...
        ~Beth
        I am not a physician, so please do not mistake any of my comments as medical advice. I am just a fellow sufferer sharing my experience with IC.

Scheduled for Radical Cystectomy & Indiana Pouch, July 16, 2009

Hit with severe pelvic pain on 6/14/08 (7:05pm): GYN, MRI, CT, laparoscopy, colonoscopy: All Clear
        DX'ed with Severe IC: Findings during cystoscopy and hydro-distention on 9/11/08 showed: scattered areas of hemorrhage and glomerulizations, w/bloody efflux. Update: Had second cysto/hydro on 5/21/09: My uro said "there were thousands of lesions" all over my bladder.
        Current Meds: Bladder Instills (self-adm 3 x per week or PRN); MS Contin; Lortab (PRN); Zanaflex; Maxide; Estradiol Patch
        Other helpful remedies: IC Diet (very important!) especially no chemical additives or preservatives; Drink 1.5+ gal. of pH neutral water per day (I test my water frequently! This is very, very important!!); Prelief; Heating pad; and lots of hugs from my wonderful hubby!
        Meds I have tried, but could not take: Amitriptyline & Imipramine (both made me mentally nutzoid, gave me nightmares, and neither one touched the pain); Lyrica (didn't touch the pain either, plus it made me very nauseous after eating and then it triggered my IBS); Cymbalta (didn't touch the pain either and it made me horribly depressed--all I did was sleep and cry!); Percocet (did very little for the pain and gave me headaches); Discontinued using Sodium Bicarb & Kenalog in my instills (it burned really bad!).
        Discontinued Meds: Elmiron (replaced by Heparin in instills); Bentyl (antispasmodic and anticholinergic; Zanaflex works much better for me!); Valium Suppositories
        History: IBS (spastic colon) since 1982; Partial hysterectomy 1985--completed in 2002 with extensive adhesion removal (I think this surgery was my IC trigger!); Non-painful urinary frequency since 2002; No history of frequent UTI's; HPV and abnormal paps 1/07; Sporadic PFD

Comment

Working...
        X