Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has any one heard of removing your bladder w/ a robot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has any one heard of removing your bladder w/ a robot?

Hi, has anyone heard of this method of removing your bladder? My uro in Cincinnati claims that there is a uro in his uro group that has been conducting removal this way. He says it is less evasive and healing time will be lots faster. I'd love to hear your opinion on this issue.

God Bless
    MARY

Serenity isn't freedom from the storm.....it's peace within the storm.....I had my sick bladder removed Jan 7th 2010.....Even though I had many complications.......I would do it again in a moment.....I have no regrets......Sunflowers in memory of my sister who passed March 14th 2010......they were her favorite....

Are you referring to the Da vinci Robot? If so, the uro's in my group are all trained to use this surgical system. Its used in a number of different surgical procedures, not just urological.
    You can do an internet search for Da vinci and I'm sure you'll come up with all kinds of hits.

take care
    D
    (\__/)
    (o.O )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

Comment

d

D, I'm not sure, I'm finding lots of hits for prostate removeal this way. It's got to be the same, I would think. Dr. didn't call it that though. When I see him again I'll ask. Thank you,
      MARY

Serenity isn't freedom from the storm.....it's peace within the storm.....I had my sick bladder removed Jan 7th 2010.....Even though I had many complications.......I would do it again in a moment.....I have no regrets......Sunflowers in memory of my sister who passed March 14th 2010......they were her favorite....

Comment

By all means ask your Dr if this is what he's referring to.
        From my understanding, the Da vinci system is also used in orthopedics, gynecology and cardiology procedures.

take care
        D
        (\__/)
        (o.O )
        (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

Comment

Some surgeons may use the robots to help them assist in part of operations.
          I have not heard of this for cystectomies. Interesting. I would personally not choose a robot to have removed my bladder. It's an extremely complicated operation that requires a skilled surgeon. My Cystectomy and Indiana Pouch were not done with a robot. Bladder Removal is not simple.

Kara
          Complex Case: Severe IC 1999, Interstim 2001, Endometriosis 2001, End Stage Refractory IC 2002, Bladder Removal (Cystectomy) 2002, Gall Bladder Removal 2005, Infertility 2003, Urethra Removal, Bladder Reconstruction (Urethrectomy/Indiana Pouch) 2006, Celiac Disease 2007, Adhesion Disease 2007, Pudendal Nerve Entrapment, Ovarian Cysts, Vestibulitis, Vulvodynia, Total Vestibulectomy and removal of both Skene's Glands, 2007 and Coccydynia 2007. Fibromyalgia and, Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome both in my neck and knees, 2007, PNE Decompression Operation May, 2009.Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Anesthesia Awareness (to awaken during operations)Pudendal Nerve Decompression Surgery, Revrse Uterine Sling, Sept. 2011

"One hour at a time, this was NOT my American Dream but it has to work out somehow."

I also have some journals of my journeys, past and some present at:
          http://karasnewblog2008.blogspot.com/ and http://icnkaralynn.blogspot.com/

Most of my Journaling now is currently on Facebook. These are old and my ICN Patient story is very old and outdated.

Comment

I did a Yahoo! search and it seems like some surgeons do use this method for bladder surgeries, including cystectomies

"The use of robotic-assisted radical cystectomy has recently been demonstrated in the literature. This procedure is considered technically challenging and some reports point towards less blood loss, lower transfusion rates, and shorter hospital stays compared to open surgery. Here we provide a review of preliminary reports involving this procedure."
            http://www.thescientificworld.co.uk/...ArticleId=1952

More info here
            IC Live Journal

Comment

In my area I hear alot of surgeries being done with the da vinci Robot. I know for one thing they use it on Prostrate (SP) procedures. Not sure on the bladder removal though. Who knows, they have come so far with procedures no a days that I would not doubt it.
              God grant me the serinity to withstand the days ahead!!!

My myspace link...
              www.myspace.com/patricia_luvs_matt

Patricia

In Memory of My Father (Lawerence) 1/25/2007

Procedures:
              Interstim Sept 2001
              1st InterStim Removal May 2005
              2nd Interstim Implanted May 2005
              2nd InterStim Removed March 2007
              Hysterectomy 1999
              Tubes Tied 1997
              C-Section 1996

Me and my kids

Taylor (my daughter) Me and my daughter My son Cody and Taylor

Comment

It's amazing what they do now with surgeries and robotics are taking a larger part in them. They say they can be more precise. I personally have not had robot assisted surgeries, but who knows, maybe in the future I will.

Comment

thank you all for your replies

I do have some decisions to make. right now, today, I've decided to have my bladder removed. I'm scared, yet excited about the HOPE of a better life.

Blessings,
                  MARY

Comment

Working...
                  X