Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need meds that will not cause difficulty urinating

Hello,

I will have hip surgery soon and they want to put me on morphine the first day through an IV pump, and then on Oxycodone or Perocet after that. Both the Oxycodone and Perocet say they can cause urinary retention or difficulty urinating, which is a problem for me on certain meds.

Has anyone had any experience with this or has this happened to anyone? Does anyone know of a medication for moderate pain that will not most likely cause urinary retention or difficulty urinating? They say I cannot take Ibuprofen or Aleve because I will also be taking a blood thinner.

I would appreciate any help on this. If you could tell me any meds for pain that have worked well for you or have not worked well for you would be great. I just need Help.

Thank you, Sharon

LET THEM KNOW you tend to have this problem. My hub also suffers from this, my greatest fear is that he will have to have surgery someday. Hopefully they will work with you to get the right combo of meds for your pain after surgery. You may even want to call to the OR/post op department and express your concerns. And emphasize your IC, explain it if you have to. Maybe they will let you come in way ahead of time (even before your pre-op appt) and talk with the charge nurses. Sometimes those gals/guys are better with communicating with doc than you are. Wish you a lot of luck with your surgery, all will be well. Just squeak your wheel ahead of time, and it will get greased. Take care, let us know. Jill, wife of Bob

Comment

I take percocet almost daily and it doesn't cause rentention for me. I also take oxycontin, which is percocet without the Tylenol and it doesn't cause retention either. Really the only pain med I had that caused me that problem was oral dilaudid. Which is crazy because IV dilaudid doesn't. Everybodys different but hopefully you won't have any trouble. Good luck with your surgery and recovery.
      Katie-46 yr old female dx'd with IC after 15 years of symptoms off and on long term antibiotic use, GERD,IBS and now IC diet, gallbladder removed, endometrial ablation w/tubes tied
      Lexapro-20 mg
      Aciphex
      Ambien-as needed
      Percocet-7.5 up to 3 per day as needed
      Valium-10 mg x2 per day
      Phenergan-1 at night
      Prelief w/everything
      Now recovering from acute pancreatitis

Currents treatments that help somewhat:
      Heating pad
      Hot baths
      Ice