• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bubbe1
    replied
    in a mess

Hi,
    The chiro. didn't help with my pelvic pain and in fact seemed to be irritating everything, including my back. I was surprised since in the past this doctor has always been able to unkink me and make me feel better. He only does a few things, though, so maybe my current problems are out of his scope of treatment.
    I'm glad your chiro. was able to help, and love the comment about "using the term" doctor loosely. Boy can I relate to that!
    Take care and keep feeling better!
    Laurie

Leave a comment:

• earthlady
    replied
    bubbe1- Was wondering how the chiropractic work went? I don't think it's unusual at all to have lower back problems that are related to the pelvic area. I had what my doctor (and I think I use that term loosely with this guy- he was a doozy)at the time told me was vulvar vestibulitis. I went to a chiropractor for lower back and hip adjustments and my other problem improved, and much more so than from the trillion or so creams the dr. had given me. It may have improved the blood flow and circulation to the point of being able to heal.

Leave a comment:

• loraleena
    replied
    So i have been using acupuncture for 3 years with some herbs. Always helps be get out of a flare. I then go a couple x a month for maintenance. However i am in now in the worst flare ever for 5 weeks triggered by sex. I am having extreme stress and anxiety which definitely makes it worse. It is a viscious cycle. I can't see to get out of this flare. i had a couple weeks that were better but then way worse again. Nothing is working not even acupuncture. What has usually given me relief is now causing me to be worse after treatment. I am on the diet very strictly and am losing weight rapidly due to that and the stress. I had terrible retention yesterday and when i finally started going I felt way worse. No i don't have a uti been checked twice. I usually flare in spring but this is beyond anything i had imagined. I have sypmtoms different than usual and way worse. Does anyone have suggestions about what points the acupuncturist could try? I am having urgency but not always able to go and feeling way worse after i go. Feel like i am having spasms after I pee. Cramping too. It is awful. Not sleeping well either. I am at my wits end.

Leave a comment:

• bubbe1
    replied
    in a mess

Originally posted by Capey View Post
    To be honest I wasn'tbeing 100% fair about our national health service. Its just suffering in the recession at the moment and because its all dependent on tax payers money certain medications which are expensive...certainly many cancer drugs are just not provided on the NHS as they are too expensive. This is very frustrating and heart breaking as you can imagine. Of course being able to go to a doctor, and a consultant and have any number of hospital procedures and operations completely free of charge does take some beating, but then the service will try and cut back on some things whihc really could be life saving....there really is no sense in some of the decisions they make. We are able to take out private health care here, but it is hugely expensive and out of the pocket of the average person who has got so used to free medical treatment that by the time they reach the age that they need really expensive treatments its too late to get private medical.
    of course most althernate therapies are not provided for such as accuncutre, chiropractors, reflexology etc etc, but interestinly accupucnture for certain symptomes and problems such as stroke recovery, circulation, pain control and back problems is slowly being introduced into the medical mainstream as its cheap, non invasive, requires no drugs and very little equipment - everything the national health service loves.
    Sorry you had a frustrating time with the accupuncturist, its like most things really, you have to find one who understands you. Wish you were over here, I have one of the best....my number one son who got his degree in TCM 2 years ago and has now gone back to do podiatry, so I will not only have no pain but will have fabulous feet for free as well. :-)

Capey,
    My husband is a retired podiatrist! However, he wants nothing to do with my feet!
    Thanks for the very interesting and informative posts.
    I hope you're doing okay.
    Laurie

Leave a comment:

• Capey
    replied
    To be honest I wasn'tbeing 100% fair about our national health service. Its just suffering in the recession at the moment and because its all dependent on tax payers money certain medications which are expensive...certainly many cancer drugs are just not provided on the NHS as they are too expensive. This is very frustrating and heart breaking as you can imagine. Of course being able to go to a doctor, and a consultant and have any number of hospital procedures and operations completely free of charge does take some beating, but then the service will try and cut back on some things whihc really could be life saving....there really is no sense in some of the decisions they make. We are able to take out private health care here, but it is hugely expensive and out of the pocket of the average person who has got so used to free medical treatment that by the time they reach the age that they need really expensive treatments its too late to get private medical.
    of course most althernate therapies are not provided for such as accuncutre, chiropractors, reflexology etc etc, but interestinly accupucnture for certain symptomes and problems such as stroke recovery, circulation, pain control and back problems is slowly being introduced into the medical mainstream as its cheap, non invasive, requires no drugs and very little equipment - everything the national health service loves.
    Sorry you had a frustrating time with the accupuncturist, its like most things really, you have to find one who understands you. Wish you were over here, I have one of the best....my number one son who got his degree in TCM 2 years ago and has now gone back to do podiatry, so I will not only have no pain but will have fabulous feet for free as well. :-)

Leave a comment:

• bubbe1
    replied
    in a mess

Hi Capey,
    Thanks so much for your response.

I believe in and have used acupuncuture for many different things-even our dog has an acupucnturist.

Unfortunately, the acupuncturist I went to for my latest ailment wasn't able to help, and the one I went to before that, whom I had been seeing for a long time for headaches, was aghast and obviously annoyed that I would mention something like vaginal spasms to her. She told me that's not something she treats and I should go and have a brain MRI.

I think the trick is to find the right practioner and so far, it seems, I have not.

In the meantime, the spasms have calmed down a bit,and I am thinking I might go back to my chiropractor who thinks the spasms have to do with my lower back problems. Sounds strange, but he's very good and it's worth a try.

BTW, I do have health insurance, Kaiser(HMO). My plan doesn't cover alternataive medicine, but that's okay.

On another note, interesting about your country's health coverage. I didn't realize that it was mainly for very basic care. I guess there's not perfect system.

Thanks again for your help. It's very much appreciated.
    Laurie

Leave a comment:

• Capey
    replied
    Originally posted by bubbe1 View Post
    Thanks! I think I'm going to have to let that go for now because my GERD is at an all time high.
    This might just be off the wall but if you dont have medical cover, have you tried accupuncutre, I mean the proper TCM (Traditional chinese medicine) not the western style. We use it here a lot in the UK as the many drugs etc you have available in the USA are not around here - so although we have free health care - free usually means pretty basic, anything a bit out of the oridnary and you end up having to go private which is hugely expensive. I found accupunture for anything to do with knees, back etc and spasmy type things very helpful. I know many people poo poo it, but its worth a try - good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Leave a comment:

• bubbe1
    replied
    in a mess

Originally posted by earthlady View Post
    If you have GERD the chamomile tea probably shouldn't be used right before bed unless your gerd meds will take care of any reflux. Chamomile tea can also relax the esophageal valve.
    Thanks! I think I'm going to have to let that go for now because my GERD is at an all time high.

Leave a comment:

• earthlady
    replied
    If you have GERD the chamomile tea probably shouldn't be used right before bed unless your gerd meds will take care of any reflux. Chamomile tea can also relax the esophageal valve.

Leave a comment:

• bubbe1
    replied
    in a mess

Hi Everyone.
    Thanks so much for all of your responses.
    I did try a warm bath, but not with the epsom salts. Maybe I'll give that a try.
    I can't take antisposmodics because I tend to have retention during flares. Wish I could because I agree that those would probably be very helpful.
    I didn't realize that Camomile Tea helps to calm things down. I wonder if my GERD would tolerate that. It sounds so nice.
    I think I also need to just generally relax more. I tend to be wound up all the time and when I pay attention, I can feel the tension in my pelvic area. Not good! Time to take out the meditation tapes, I think.
    I'm supposed to start instills for this flare, but I'm not sure when because the nurse who will be doing them said she has to order the medicine and that will take a week at least. My bladder could fall out by then! HMO's!
    Okay, I'm going to go and do the most soothing thing I know of. I'm going to go sit in my rec room and love on my dog,(sorry husband, dog is cuter)!
    Thanks again.
    Laurie

Leave a comment:

• cmclien
    replied
    Would taking an antispasmodic temporarily help I wonder? Like the oab meds? They relax the bladder muscle and stop it from spasming. I get spasms when I'm in a bad way but mine feel like I'm being poked. A continuous orgasm type feeling would hurt too I'm sure but I'm wondering if its the same origin. If thats the case I think they would help. Maybe if taken for a few days they would break the cycle. Might want to ask your doc for something like that unless you're one to have retention.

Leave a comment:

• earthlady
    replied
    You didn't mention if you have tried sitting in a warm bath with epsom salts. When my spasms were really bad moist heat from the water worked better than a dry heat. Chamomile tea worked well for calming all my muscles down. I know- sounds simplistic but I got the idea from the Better Bladder Book and it helped. My bladder and pelvic floor were spasming at the same time. What a nightmare that was - so I know how you are feeling. Valium sounds like a good idea- The Ativan I had at the time helped also until I got to pelvic PT.

Leave a comment:

• sailawaygrl
    replied
    Laurie,

Donna is right, it's not at all unusual. It happens to me when I am flaring really bad.

Sandra

Leave a comment:

• bubbe1
    replied
    knee too

Originally posted by meagain View Post
    Hmmm, knee problem too? Just generally check all the boxes here, it would be good for you to find a GOOD chiropractor. I did and my knee problem mostly disappeared! Had a MRI, thousand dollar knee brace and told surgery was needed. The brace would not stop knee from popping out of joint. Now it's fine! I just think chiropractic would be a general step in the right direction for you. Wish I hadn't let my knee go until the ligament went all the way lax, can't fix that. My next moves will be pelvic PT and/or acupuncture. The key is finding GOOD ones. And having money. No health insurance here, another 5 yrs till Medicare, but thinking about moving to another country, frankly. Sorry to rant. Good luck to you!
    Megain,
    You are a fountain of information!
    I was going to a Chiro whom I liked but he wasn't helpig my knees. I think I need PT for that. I also am thinking more and more, that our ailments involve our WHOLE bodies,not just bits and pieces.
    I'm so sorry you don't have insurance. Our system does seem to be a little broken, doesn't it but I don't know if other countries are any better. Seems like every health system has it's problems.
    I have three years until Medicare. Hope it's still intact!
    Okay, didn't mean to get all political!
    Thanks for your help,
    Laurie

Leave a comment:

• meagain
    replied
    Hmmm, knee problem too? Just generally check all the boxes here, it would be good for you to find a GOOD chiropractor. I did and my knee problem mostly disappeared! Had a MRI, thousand dollar knee brace and told surgery was needed. The brace would not stop knee from popping out of joint. Now it's fine! I just think chiropractic would be a general step in the right direction for you. Wish I hadn't let my knee go until the ligament went all the way lax, can't fix that. My next moves will be pelvic PT and/or acupuncture. The key is finding GOOD ones. And having money. No health insurance here, another 5 yrs till Medicare, but thinking about moving to another country, frankly. Sorry to rant. Good luck to you!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X