X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ginaaa22
    ICN Member
    • Feb 2011

migraines

I've been having daily migraines for 18 days straight. When I was first diagnosed with IC in 09 I was having the same issues and they resolved on their own. I got into a car accident on april 5th. I have been taking motrin 800, excedrin, tramadol and percocets for them because they get so bad. Not all of those at once... On wednesday I had to go to the ER because I had a migraine for 27 hours straight and nothing would make it go away. I tried a warm bath, sleeping, meds. The ER gave me skelaxin, motrin and percocets. I can't take flexerol and I'm not sure if I will have a similar reaction to the skelaxin. Any thoughts.

When I was having my issues 2 years ago I saw 3 neuro and they said that I had white matter in the middle of my brain that they didnt know what it was but it wasnt anything to worry about unless I started getting daily migraines. For my migraines they prescribed me tramadol 200 mg ER. When my migraines are at there worst they are a 10+. To me it is worse than my IC pain or anything else...
    Diagnosis: IC '09, vulvodynia '10, fructose intolerance '06, GERD '06, fibromyalgia '09, IBS '10 and TMJ '09, PCOS '11, genital herpes '12

Current Meds: Butrans patch, welbutrin, lamictol, geodon, xanax, aldactone, linzess, topimax, trazadone and diflucan as needed.

Meds tried before: Elmiron, elavil, antibiotics, welbutrin, cymbalta, prozac, nerve blocks, instills, nyastatin, flexerol, percocet, naproxen (which was what I was given for pain for years).
  • Judith56
    Support Volunteers
    • Mar 2004

When I get migraines I take Imitrex and usually within 30 minutes it is gone. Have you ever tried the migraine specific meds?

Comment

• phoenixgirl
      ICN Member
      • Apr 2011

Imitrex helps me, too.

Ginaaa22, I see in your signature that you tried elavil. Did it not work for you? My doctor said that in addition to helping my IC symptoms, it could help with my migraines. Since I've been on the amitriptyline I haven't had one migraine. Just curious as to whether or not you might be able to try the elavil again if that might help you, too?
      Diagnosed with IC in April 2011. Medications and IC treatments did not help, diagnosed with PFD in September of 2013. Still searching for answers as to why I have never-ending frequency/urgency issues.

Current medications/treatments:
      Pelvic physical therapy, valium suppositories, b and o suppositories, acupuncture, probiotics, magnesium, epsom salt baths

Previous medications/treatments:
      Elmiron, Hydroxizine, Elavil, VESIcare, Series of rescue instillations using Elmiron, water, lidocaine, & sodium bicarb and self-cathing with instills as needed, D-mannose, Glucosamine, Hyophen (generic Prosed), Colostrum, IC diet, PTNS, chiropractic treatments, Desert Harvest Aloe Vera, CystoProtek

Comment

• sailawaygrl
        ICN Member
        • Feb 2008

Due to your recent car accident and what they told you in the past I would reccomend that you return to see the Dr that told you about the white matter, just to be safe about things. They can probably order an MRI or CT scan to check and make sure everything is ok. I know for me, when I had continuous horrible migraines it eased my mind a lot to have the scans.

Sometimes when you have migraines and take a lot of meds for them you can get what is called rebound migraines. It happens from all the medications, I have had this happen to me also. My migraines started after I had a major stressful change in my life and would last days on end and I would have to go to the ER and get a shot to essentially knock me out, then after I slept it would finally break. I know for me, lack of sleep and using all the pain meds trying to get rid of a migraine has caused me to have continued pain in the past. It is really a vicious cycle when they get like you are having. Also, you might check to make sure they aren't cluster headaches, just as bad as migraines but they last alot longer.

I used to take imitrex for mine also and it worked great, I can't take it anymore because of drug interactions with my IC medication. Some of our medications for IC are what they prescribe for migraines also, like the anti seizure meds, and the nor and amitripyline like phoenexgirl mentioned.

Try to get in to see a Dr soon, the ER is just going to treat the acute pain not the long term reason. You need to get someone to help you break the cycle. I am so sorry you are going thru this, I know how it feels and it is awful. All the stress, lack of sleep and unable to eat right makes it all the worse but you can't do anything to change those things when you are trapped in the middle of a migraine cycle like you are having. I wish you the best. Please keep us updated and let us know when you are doing better.

Sandra
        Last edited by sailawaygrl; 05-15-2011, 11:36 PM. Reason: added first paragraph
        Link to the patient information, everything from What is IC? to Disability
        http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

American Urological Association Clinical Guideline
        Diagnosis and Treatment of Intersitial Cysitis/Painful Bladder Syndrom
        http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf

Comment

• ICNDonna
          ICN Staff
          • Mar 2000

I agree that it could be extremely important to see your doctor ASAP, especially since you were in an accident recently.

Warm healing thoughts,
          Donna
          Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
          Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
          Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
          [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

• ginaaa22
            ICN Member
            • Feb 2011

I'm going to start taking my elavil again I'm just not going to go over 25 mgs because I was ok with that but not when I was on 75/ 100 mg. I can't go back to the neuro who I saw before because that facility refuses to see me as a patient anymore. There is only 2 other neuro in toledo. I have not been given any meds for migraines other than the tramadol. Would a GP be able to help me with this?

I always get enough sleep (10 hours at least) so I know its not from that. I just hope and pray they subside
            Diagnosis: IC '09, vulvodynia '10, fructose intolerance '06, GERD '06, fibromyalgia '09, IBS '10 and TMJ '09, PCOS '11, genital herpes '12

Current Meds: Butrans patch, welbutrin, lamictol, geodon, xanax, aldactone, linzess, topimax, trazadone and diflucan as needed.

Meds tried before: Elmiron, elavil, antibiotics, welbutrin, cymbalta, prozac, nerve blocks, instills, nyastatin, flexerol, percocet, naproxen (which was what I was given for pain for years).

Comment

• ginaaa22
              ICN Member
              • Feb 2011

Also, I know in the info sheets they gave me at the Er it said you can get rebound migraines from taking narcotics. I have been taking them more since my accident because it sent my fibro, IC and IBS all into a huge flare. its been 6 weeks and im still not completely recovered. I ususally dont get migraines at a certain time of the day either. It can be in the morning, afternoon or night. Sometimes I will get them after I have sex which I dont know why that happens.

Comment

• Katrina
                ICN Member
                • Aug 2001

I am hoping you have rushed to the doctor but if it turns out that you just have bad migrianes you may want to try a med that helps to avoid them...anticonvulsants often do that and when that doesn't work I do like maxalt...although it does sound like like me you would need more than my insurence allows me to have to treat your pain. Anything is better than the 10+ though. When my IC was first diagnosed it was at its worse and I too was having a lot of very bad long migrianes than too. As my IC improved so did the migrianes...neither disapeared though.
                I hope you can get some help that eases your life.

I saw the Neurontin on the med list. Are you taking that daily? What dose?

once again, I hope you can find an easy path to relief!
                Faith, Hope, and Love,
                Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back!

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
                Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

[email protected] please contact me...I am here to help!

Comment

• ginaaa22
                  ICN Member
                  • Feb 2011

Yes I take it daily. 600 mg 3x a day.

Comment

Working...